12

I always thought if Jisoo and I ever made up, our friendship would never go back to what it once was. I thought too much time had passed. Sure, we could be on good terms but we would never go back to crying on the bathroom floor, drunk out of our minds and promising each other that we'd be friends for the rest of our lives.

It's been almost a month now and I have to say, I think I was wrong.

"Do you not know how to answer your phone?" Is the first thing she says as she walks into my apartment. "I didn't know which wine to bring so I got both." She adds, holding up two bottles.

"And I brought the groceries because we can't drink ourselves full on an empty stomach, now can we?" Lisa beamed, strolling into my apartment too.

I shut the door behind her and followed them both into the kitchen. Rosie was on her tippy toes, shuffling through my cupboards. "Where the fuck is all of your food? Do you really not have anything to snack on?"

"You guys remember the lovely Roseanne, don't you?" I laugh, taking a bag out of Lisa's hand and settling it down on the counter.

"Course I do." Lisa says. "We text all the time."

"Nice to see you again." Jisoo offers a small smile. "Rosie, right? Can I call you Rosie?"

"You sure can." She nods. She glances at the multiple grocery bags and quickly makes her way over. "Please tell me you have something I can snack on."

"I was going to prepare a charcuterie board?"

"Will that take long?"

"Rosie, what the hell is wrong with you." I ask.

"Zero baked again." Is all she says. "I didn't plan on eating the brownies but then I thought I shouldn't let them go to waste, you know?"

"Zero?" Jisoo repeats. "What's a Zero?"

"Zero is Rosie's neighbor across the hall. He's very much a pothead who likes baking all sorts of things and never forgets to share it with Rosie." I explain, shaking my head a little. "You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you like his treats."

Rosie giggles softly. "I do." She nods happily.

Lisa laughs. "So, I'm guessing you have a bad case of the munchies?"

"Unfortunately."

I walked over to one of the cupboards, shoved the box of noodles to the side and pulled out a bag of goldfish. "Here, go sit down somewhere." Rosie didn't have to be told twice, she snatched the bag and planted herself down on one of the high chairs on the other side of the island.

I couldn't tell you how the four of us ended up in my apartment tonight. I was heading home after a long day of work, dreaming about my bed and watching reruns of Chopped when Jisoo called me and said she was coming over and that Lisa was with her. Next thing you know, I'm walking up to my apartment building only to find Rosie standing outside. My dreams of laying in bed and watching Chopped were quickly thrown out the window but I didn't mind. I liked the idea of all of us hanging out, especially Jisoo, I felt like we still have a lot of things to catch up on.

"How was work?" Lisa asked as she unpacked things from grocery bags and I took down three wine glasses.

"Busy." I answered with a small sigh. "I got a call from my boss today who suddenly springs this project on me out of nowhere. I've been running around all day trying to get things in order."

"What kind of project?"

"A gallery opening that's connected to a few charities." I say. "Which means all their highest clients will be attending, which also means I have to make sure everything is perfect."

"Jennie, you are perfect . .If anyone could do it. .you can!" Rosie speaks, her voice slow but very serious. "I love you."

I fight a smile as I shake my head. "I love you too, Rosie."

As the night carried on, I couldn't help the happiness that bubbled inside of me. For so long, I preferred to hide away in my apartment—ignoring my friends, blaming work for my antisocial tendencies. But being here with the few people I call friends, sharing conversation over good wine and food. It was unbeatable.

We were all so caught up in Lisa's rant about everything that goes in wedding planning when Jisoo's phone started ringing. I briefly glanced down at the screen and I sank a little when I saw Jongin's name roll across the screen.

"Uh, I'll be right back."

She was already out of her seat and heading towards my balcony. I watched quietly as she shut the door behind her and answered the phone.

Just like that the happiness that bubbled inside of me slowly disappeared. The only downside of being on speaking terms with Jisoo again was the constant reminder of Jongin. Yes, he was always there before but it wasn't so much in my face as it is now. Most of the times we hung out, he either called or texted or she'd have to leave early because 'something' came up.

"I wonder what that's about." Lisa says, taking a sip of her wine and nodding towards the balcony.

Jisoo was looking at her phone, clearly on FaceTime and there was a scowl on her face. It didn't take much to realize she was trying her hardest not to yell and for a second, I wondered if they were arguing about me. Which also made me think back to what Sehun said a month ago. 'Ever since you two broke up, it's like she's been wedged right down between the middle of it.'

I grabbed my nearly empty glass of wine and finished it. Lisa and Rosie's chatter buzzed against one ear but my mind was more focused on the look Jisoo paid the sky before she walked back into my apartment.

"Sorry to cut the evening short guys." She forced a smile to her face as she neared the table. "Something came up at work and I have to go take care of it."

"Aw man." Rosie pouted.

Jisoo was quick with her movements, bidding goodbyes and kisses. I watched quietly as she slipped into her heels and threw her coat over her shoulders. An ugly feeling of guilt claws away inside of me and I couldn't help myself. Just as she opened the door, I followed her out into the hallway.

"If being friends with me again makes things hard for you..I understand if—"

"Don't finish that sentence." Jisoo says, turning on her heel with swiftness.

"What's wrong with him?" I say instead. I'm not sure I even have the right to ask but she doesn't even bother denying he's the reason she's leaving.

I note the flicker of hesitation behind her eyes before she quickly covers it with a hard wall. "You..you can't ask me that Jen." Jisoo sighs, shaking her head. "He's my brother and..."

I nod. "I'm the girl that broke his heart. Noted."

"Jennie."

"I'm sorry." I frown, taking a step back towards my apartment. "You should go. I wouldn't want you to keep him waiting." I don't give Jisoo a chance to respond as I'm already closing the door and locking it shut.

-

Hi???