Chapter Twenty-Four | Killian

It had been four days since Wilson's death. Ever since then, Killian would wake up to see Jasper reading at ungodly hours through the night and in the morning, his best guess was to avoid nightmares. He was relieved when Jasper had finally gotten some sleep on the third day. Even though he was exhausted, Jasper still managed to go out and help the group with whatever chores they needed him to take care of, even patrolling. Killian couldn't help but feel at least a small bit of jealousy. People had no problem letting Jasper help them, but whenever Killian asked, they gave him pitying glances and amused half-smiles. Just because one of my legs can't work the best right now doesn't mean I can't help out. He thought.

With everything gradually going to shit, Killian was just relieved to at least have one person by his side. Jasper had the quickest recovery after the event, to whatever extent was considered a 'recovery' by Cohen. Darren and Keagan hadn't gone on a patrol since, but at least Darren even set a foot outside. Casimir would disappear for most of the day, with nobody really knowing his whereabouts until he brought back something for dinner. Sometimes Samantha would leave with him, but most of the time he managed to slip away unnoticed. Harley, Aubrey and Chris were taking up the responsibility of helping Jasper keep the perimeter more safe, but Tom had delegated that nobody was to go outside when the sun went down.

The day before, Jasper had returned with Chris, Harley and Aubrey to report more and more footsteps being seen closer to the woods and around the barn. Aubrey especially mentioned how the barn had inexplicably become some sort of storage space for random dead biters. More dog prints were spotted close to the area as well, carefully inspected by Casimir. There was definitely somebody lingering around the small space between the edge of Swanston and the farmhouse. Killian just knew that if any more threats revealed themselves--especially after those bikers had encountered the raiding team and almost killed him and Jasper--Tom, Cohen, Darren and Jasper would all decide to move the group elsewhere.

Deep down Killian would have liked to believe he didn't care about Jackson, not after he'd shot Jasper, but he knew that would be lie. The moment Jasper had read that note looted from the dead biker, Killian had immediately been concerned for Jackson's safety. Whether he thought Jackson was already dead or not, Killian didn't want to think about. He already knew the conclusion, which ultimately put his cousin at the short end of the stick.

Now sitting on the couch downstairs, Killian impatiently waited for Jasper to return home. He held a strange set of makeshift stitches Cohen had made for his leg--which could be bluntly summed up as a fishing line and needle pin. Even the thought of that thick wire going through his skin, tugging the wound closed...it was enough to make Killian's stomach churn in and of itself. There was no way in hell that he would let Cohen do it. But when it came down to trust, the only person Killian would want near him with a pointy object and fishing wire would be Jasper. Until the other man showed up, he continued to look over the wound on his leg reluctantly. The wound wasn't as massive as he thought it was, but it was pretty big regardless. Cohen had told him numerous times--if that shotgun had been closer or had a clearer aim, his leg would be long gone and he would have bled to death. In shorter words, he was lucky to be alive.

An exhausted sigh left Killian's lips as he laid his head back, closing his eyes tight. Being stuck inside with a lame leg under the obsessive eye of everybody in the group was more boring than watching paint dry. But...since Cohen was busy in the den helping Samantha with a strained ankle, Tom was speaking with Darren and Keagan was napping...it was possible he could sneak out. Killian already knew Casimir had gone out that day for something. Jasper, Aubrey, Chris and Harley were on a patrol together. Maybe he could try to find them. That wouldn't have been smart without a group going with him though, Killian thought to himself. If there were any biters hiding around, he would be as good as dead.