Chapter Twenty-Nine | Jasper

Having Killian's body curled up against Jasper's side in the mornings was something he wished would never end. He was re-reading the book Killian had found him a month ago, maybe longer. Keeping track of the days wasn't exactly an easy task anymore.

The younger man's warm skin pressed up against Jasper's, comfortably nestled between his arm and his side, with one of Killian's arms draped over his chest. The sunlight from the window touched Killian's face, showing the small details Jasper didn't usually get to pay attention to.

Barely visible freckles lightly dusted across his lover's nose and under his eyes, the reddish tint to his brown curls. There was a small freckle just under Killian's left eye that was a bit darker than the others, a dimple on his cheek when he smiled in his sleep. 

Beautiful. Jasper thought. He longed to reach out and delicately run his thumb across Killian's bottom lip, but didn't want to wake him. He deserved a good rest.

A yawn parted Killian's lips, his eyes blinking open. It wasn't the first time Jasper had noticed those beautiful golden-hazel irises or thick lashes, that gave his lover a deceptively fawn-like innocence. Immediately when his eyes opened though, Killian nuzzled his face closer against Jasper's body and buried his head amongst the blankets.

"Good morning," Jasper murmured softly, barely holding back a chuckle. "Did you sleep well?" Killian nodded but didn't speak, only sighing peacefully. "The sun's not all the way up yet," Jasper soothed. "You can rest for a little longer."

When Killian's head lifted away from the blankets, his curls were even more disheveled than they usually were. Jasper's heart melted when the younger man's chin rested on his chest. Killian's tired gaze trailed along the page for a few seconds. A little bit, he shut his eyes tight and went back to sleep.

When the sun had reached its place in the sky and the birds started singing, Jasper nudged Killian awake. The younger man protests were made in the form of headbutting his shoulder. "I know, but we've got to get up sometime." Jasper said.

"Hmph."

"Tell you what," Jasper chuckled, "If you get up with me now I'll take you outside for a long walk later. Maybe you can start hunting again."

Killian's eyes practically glowed from Jasper's offer. He hugged Jasper and mumbled, "Yes please." Jasper knew that the younger man loved the outdoors more than the indoors, much unlike himself. Being cooped up in the farmhouse for so long while also neglecting some sort of physical therapy to prevent a permanent limp—he was still irritable with Cohen over not helping Killian with that–was almost torture for the hunter.

Getting Killian out of the farmhouse and outside was a good way to motivate him without being so direct. Jasper knew Killian didn't like being told what to do, his lover was hardheaded and determined, for better or for worse. "Come on then," Jasper said. "We've got to get dressed."

Although Jasper knew better, he didn't move as Killian stretched and hopped out of the covers to retrieve his clothing. Instead, he took the time to watch and observe. But as Killian turned his back, in those few split seconds, Jasper was reminded of what he'd told him. Forcing himself out of bed, he padded up behind his partner, the uneven floorboards uncomfortable on his bare feet. Pressing a soft kiss just below Killian's jaw—where he knew he liked it—he ran a finger over those scars.

Jasper's touch was nothing but delicate, an attempt to be as soothing as possible. Goosebumps raised along Killian's skin, he could feel the small shudder run down his partner's spine. It was tantalizing for Jasper, almost taunting him, knowing he couldn't do anything further. At least not at the moment. "Jasper," Killian said softly. That was the only thing he said. Then followed by, "Don't tease me so early in the morning." His request wasn't convincing, but Jasper complied reluctantly.