Chapter Thirty-One | Jasper

Jasper watched as Killian walked ahead of him hurriedly. He was impatient to tell Tom about what they'd learned, but he didn't understand the sudden urgency. He hadn't seen Killian so shaken up in a long, long time. Maybe he'd missed something. Jasper knew that Stephan's group was a definite threat, but his lover glanced to and fro, as if worried they might attack at any second.

Was Jasper so used to being in danger that he had gotten used to it? They weren't even sure if Stephan knew about them and their place in the farmhouse. Jackson said he wasn't sure who'd been to the barn, so it was still a possibility, but it was a slim one. If Stephan knew the group was at the farmhouse he would have dealt away with them already, unless he had something more complicated planned.

Brushing narrowly past Casimir and Keagan, who were holding hands and walking around the veranda chatting, Jasper had to jog to keep up with Killian. "Hey Boy Scout, slow down." He soothed, laying a hand on his partner's shoulder. His attempts to calm Killian down were ignored, to his dismay. He could see how frightened the young man was, how stiff his muscles were.

"How can I be calm?" Killian demanded. Jasper took a small step back, knitting his brows together with confusion. Why was Killian so snappy all of a sudden? What had he done to deserve it? Jasper forced himself to push those thoughts away. Much as it hurt him, he knew Killian didn't mean it. There was something bothering him, something he didn't understand.

"Okay," Jasper kept his voice even, "We'll talk to Tom, then tell me what's wrong, okay?"

There was a few moments of silence as Killian chewed anxiously at his bottom lip, then nodded. "Yea, okay."

They found Tom on the front porch, talking to Darren with a small, leisurely smile. The two men glanced up as Jasper headed over, Killian at his side, bristling. "We've got what we needed," Jasper replied bluntly. Proceeding to explain everything they'd learned to Tom and Darren, Jasper watched as their expressions turned from fascinated to concerned.

Tom narrowed his dark brows for a few seconds, deep in thought. "If you think Jackson's trustworthy enough," He said carefully, "Then he'll be your responsibility. But remember Jasper, we're not looking for trouble." The man's voice hardened, "If they see or hear any of you, the group is as good as dead."

Swallowing back an anxious lump that had suddenly formed Jasper said, "Of course, Tom." With a curt nod.

"I have something to talk to Cohen about," Tom muttered, standing up. He stretched his back out with a big yawn, "Why don't you take Killian out for a hunt? The boy needs to stretch his legs—both of them."

"I'm not a boy. I don't need to be babysat," Killian snarled. Tom just sighed and watched as Killian shoved past him, leaning against the railing of the veranda. His arms were crossed, eyes narrowed, finger tapping impatiently as he glared at Jasper.

Without another word, Tom bid Jasper goodbye with an amused smile, heading back into the farmhouse. Darren hadn't said a word still, but his smile was humorous as well. "To think you've tamed that one is beyond me," He chuckled, "Boy's got a flame hotter than the deepest pits of Hell."

"You all talk about it, try living with it." Jasper mused. Despite everybody's exasperated reactions to him being the only one that really got along with Killian, he knew deep down that his partner didn't always mean to hurt people. Being abrasive for Killian was just a side-effect of protecting himself, whether he needed to or not. Jasper knew that would never change. Killian would always be that way towards others. How he was lucky enough to see the gentler, more vulnerable side of his lover was something he'd never understand, but something he would be eternally grateful for.