Chapter Forty-Five | Killian & Jasper

"These," Killian watched carefully as Jasper strolled across the living room, with two—very familiar—metal-clawed gloves in his hand. "Are for you." The new group leader ungraciously dropped the gloves on the ground, right at Jackson's feet.

The morning had gone surprisingly well, considering the circumstances. Jasper had organized a search party to look around the barn in case they'd missed something. Cohen was kept in the basement for the time being, until Jasper officially decided what to do with the healer. Killian wondered exactly what Jasper was planning. Killing the doctor would put everybody on edge about Jasper's future decision-making, banishing Cohen could lead to even more outcry—but getting rid of the man entirely would rid them of any medical assistance either way.

Killian had volunteered to lead the patrol, but Jasper had insisted he take a break that day, along with Aubrey, Jackson and Casimir. He had to assume the leniency stemmed from Jasper's inability to admit he needed the help—expressing his gratitude in a different manner instead. Killian had been surprised with the work amount dealt out to the others, it was just as fair as it always had been. He'd half-expected Jasper to get some sort of silent revenge. Of course, that could change a bit later down the line. But it wasn't as if they didn't deserve it. Sometimes, Killian wondered if Jasper really was too sympathetic for his own good.

"Finally," Jackson snorted contemptuously, "It's about time." Killian could have sworn he saw Jasper's jaw clench the moment those words left his cousin's lips. When the half-biter bent down to retrieve his most valued possessions, Jasper slammed his foot down on the ground. Jackson jerked his hand back just in time to avoid his fingers from being crushed.

Killian's lips parted to say something, but in his shock, he couldn't muster any words. Aubrey raised her brows and took a hesitant step backwards. "Jackson." Jasper's voice was deceptively calm, silky-smooth. But Killian could easily recognize the tensing of his lover's muscles, the clenching of Jasper's fists. He watched as Jasper's fingers curled against his strong palm, the way he set his jaw, even the way his shoulders broadened...before he knew it, he'd caught himself staring a bit too intensely and looked away with a blush heating up his cheeks.

"Yes?"

"If you ever break whatever small amount of trust I'm putting into you, I will personally gut you like a fish and hang your body up for the biters. Understand?" Jasper's huskier, deeper tone when he grew irritable--it definitely stirred something in Killian.

"Of course, as any reasonable individual would." Jackson replied, sharing the new group leader's exact tone. Killian's eyes flickered back and forth between them, barely holding back a smile as he watched his two favorite people attempt to get along, if not for his sake then their own. Killian couldn't help the slow smile that tugged at the corners of his lips.

When Jasper had decided Jackson was given enough of a warning, he crossed the living to Killian, abruptly pausing. He then tilted his head to side ever-so-slightly. Just from the look Jasper gave him, Killian knew the other man had practically read his mind. He knew exactly what he'd been thinking about, why he'd been watching so intently. Killian hated it, the way Jasper so easily trapped him beneath his gaze. He squirmed a bit as those pale blue, beautiful irises focused on him directly. "What's wrong, Boy Scout?" He teased.

Killian quickly cleared his throat and snapped, "Nothing. What's wrong with you? Idiot." As soon as he insulted Jasper, Killian got up and leaned against him to let him know he didn't actually mean it. Jasper's hand caressed his cheek, easily forgiving him. Killian nuzzled his face even closer, curling his fingers around Jasper's shirt. He'd gotten Jasper to wear his jacket again so he could steal it later.

"What's on the to-do list this morning, boss?" Darren inquired, leaning against the doorframe of the area between the living room and the kitchen. Killian bit his tongue, barely resisting the urge to snap at him. He'd ruined his and Jasper's moment.