Chapter Five

A week had passed since Dream had started staying with George and nothing much had changed.

Dream was yet to talk it out with his mother and as far as he was aware, he never would.

Staying with George meant the weight of pretending to be straight was gone and he could focus on one of the many other weights still set atop his shoulders.

One of these metaphorical weights would include the slight feelings he could feel developing for his best friend.

Dream was always a very honest person and keeping this secret seemed to be eating away at him and he could tell it was definitely seeping into the way he interacted with the boy.

Surely none of this went unnoticed by George. Right?

Wrong.

George must not have been paying much attention because he was still convinced that the feelings he had for Dream were not reciprocated.

Nothing about the way he held hands with his friend or the way they would wake up in each other's arms felt out of the ordinary to him, so he continued to mope around, wishing only that he could call Dream his own.

The only person who wasn't completely dense must have been Sapnap, as he most definitely noticed the shift in the way his best friend's spoke to one another.

They almost seemed distant, as if the were stuck in another dimension where the only thoughts that they could formulate were about each other.

"Seeing as I'm clearly third wheeling, I'm off to hang out with Karl while you two continue to do whatever this is..." Sapnap pointed between both George and Dream as he backed away, "Have fun."

He scurried off towards another boy and when they met, they linked their arms together and walked off towards a set of swings, which was crowded with children much younger than them.

George just sat there, watching Dream and taking in every one of his perfect features.

There were freckles that littered his face and his eyes were squinted slightly, fighting off the sun rays that beamed down on them both through the trees lining the empty sidewalk.

They were sat on a park bench, Dream's arm draped over George's shoulders.

"He's really into the whole third wheeling idea," Dream broke the silence and looked over at George. Now that the sun was no longer threatening to blind him, his eyes were wide open, and George was given the chance to gaze into them once again.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing. I guess he's just been really into teasing us recently,"

Neither boy made an effort to speak again and silently watched each aspect of nature do whatever nature does.

It was nearing the end of spring, so summer was beginning to take effect. The park was nearly filled to the brim with children and the sun was yet to set, despite it being nearly 7:30 at night.

The absence of conversation soon came to a close as Dream stood from his spot on the bench, abruptly.

"I'll race you to the soccer field!" Dream yelled, loud enough for anyone nearby to hear.

The soccer field had been cleared of the middle schoolers who had been there previously and it was wide open, filled with patches of clovers and small, white flowers. Dream began jogging towards the soccer goals before George could even process the statement.

"Hey! That's not fair!" George stood to catch up with his friend, but his giggles stopped him from running very fast.

Much to George's dismay, Dream was stood in the middle of the field before he had even reached the end of the sidewalk.

Knowing he had already lost, he quit running and instead walked over to where his best friend had collapsed in the very center of the field, now lying on his back.

George approached him, but was only met with a hand grabbing onto his ankle. Dream took a deep breath as the weight of a 17-year-old boy collapsed on top of him.

"Ow! You're so heavy! What the fuck?" Dream teased.

"It was your fault. Why would you do that?" George looked at Dream with a saddened expression as he went to get up. He was immediately pulled back down so that his head rested on the other's chest.

"So we could cuddle."

George's eyes widened, but a burst of confidence swept over him.

"If you wanted to cuddle, you could have just asked. You didn't have to nearly kill me," He angled his chin up and looked at Dream who had his gaze pointed up at the sky.

"If I had asked, you would have said no."

"You don't know that."

"I'm pretty sure I do," The sun was finally beginning to set and the sound of children began to disappear.

Anything that could possibly ruin this moment was pushed to the side and instead, Dream cradled George in his arms, humming the faintest of melodies, while watching the sunset.

However, all good moments come to a close at some point.

This one, sadly, was ended with a soccer ball flying directly towards the two, crashing directly into George's back and bouncing up to hit Dream in the face.

"Hah! Gotcha bitch!" Excited laughter came from behind George and they both got up quickly to see who had just ruined their moment.

One boy seemed to be gasping for air after laughing and the other had his eyebrows furrowed in an apologetic manner.

George immediately recognized the two as Skeppy and Bad, both from his math class.

"Skeppy? What the hell?" Clay seemed to have also recognized the boy who had just shot a soccer ball at him.

"Language! Both of you!" George stifled a laugh and waited for Skeppy's reply.

"What do you mean, 'What the hell'?" Bad only rolled his eyes, clearly giving up as Skeppy continued, "You two were stealing our thunder!"

"Stealing your thunder? What's that supposed to mean?" George questioned.

Bad only offered a smile and let Skeppy explain, clearly not wanting to be associated with his boyfriend at the moment.

"You guys aren't allowed to go around being ten times cuter than me and Bad," Skeppy laughed, bring his hand up to sweep his hair out of his face.

"We appreciate the compliment, but there was no reason to kick a soccer ball directly at us."

The four boys stood in silence for just a moment, before Skeppy spoke yet again.

"Seeing as I kind of just ruined whatever was going on between you two, I would like to formally invite you to the party I'm having this Friday, as some sort of an apology."

Dream locked eyes with George, both looking for an answer from the other.

"I think we could make it. How many people will be there?" Dream answered for the two of them.

"There shouldn't be more than thirty. It's hard to get alcohol for many more."

George took Dream's hand in his own and squeezed lightly, indicating that this probably wasn't the best idea.

Dream must not have noticed, or else he just didn't care, because he accepted the invitation without much thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter was definitely iffy.

So what happens at the party? : )

Word count: 1,154