Chapter 21

I don't know how it happened.

But all that is left, is smoke and shadows.

Prints being swept away.

And soon...

My fate... will be the same.

The tips of leaves tickled his arms and legs as he sat there amongst the bush. However, the collection of scratches along his limbs only served as an irritating result of the concealing plant.

But that stress and irritation was soon to be released. Because they were scaring class 1-A. And he was going to enjoy the hell out of it.

He was set near the end, his class mates seeing merit in his shadow manipulation. So he can faintly hear the heroes and the waiting students.

The rustling of bushes and the halt of footsteps, paired with a short but loud shriek that belonged to Uraraka Ochaco alerted Izuku to the approaching pair.

'So they sprang Shiozaki's vine monster, cool'

He glanced across the path to Kuroiro who was hiding in the shadows of the trees surrounding him. He was Izuku's teammate in their scare.

And soon, that scare would activate.

They just had to wait.

No footsteps?

What, did they stop moving in fear?

Oh well.

Did it... smell weird?

Like... burning wood...

Burning... that wasn't a scare.

Something's wrong.

Izuku leapt out of his spot in the bushes, startling Kuroiro, but he followed the teen's lead, rising from the bushes.

"Something's wrong. Can you smell the burning wood? Is the forest on fire!?" Izuku yelled.

"I don't know. But can you smell that? It's like, some sort of gas... wait. Are we...

Under attack?"

--------------

The rapid crunch of dirt under boots. Rapid breaths. Drying throats. Thumping hearts.

The night was dark with smoke and fear.

It pounded through teenager's bodies. Some dropped to the ground. Out of the game they played. Out of commission.

But legs pounded into the ground. Breathing became frantic. Power flared. And two figures made their way to the clearing the game had begun in.

Villains...

They had been attacked by villains.

Not any villains.

Shigaraki's villains.

He thought he recognised those flames.

Did he... why?

It really wasn't his business.

But now it was.

Dabi... just what the hell are you doing...