Chapter 3: Wedding Plans

Daring stood in front of his parents shaking his head back and forth in annoyance. He had been trying to negotiate with them for the past two days. "Streamers this", Fireworks that", he could not get them to allow Cerise and him a simple wedding.

    "Ooh..." His mother exclaimed. "We could get that nice choir that sung at our wedding!"

    "I'm pretty sure that they are all retired sweetheart," His father said with a laugh.

    "Oh, that's too bad, maybe we could find another choir."

    "Mom, dad, maybe we should just get a pianist and stop there," Daring said rubbing his forehead.

    "No!" his mother exclaimed. "This is a ROYAL wedding, it has to be BIG!"

    "For the last time mother! This is not a royal wedding!" Daring said getting increasingly frustrated. "Remember, I abdicated from the throne."

     At this statement, the Queen came to an abrupt, sad, silence. She HATED the idea of not having Daring as the future King. And the thought of Dexter being next in line only made it worse. Tears began to fall silently down her face.

    "Why do you do this to me?"

    "Mom," Daring put his hand lightly on his mother's shoulder. "I don't mean to hurt you in any way... but I also don't want to live my storybook life. I've fallen in love, and I've changed."

    "I know... I know..." She stood there in deep thought. The other two Royals in the room looked at her warily. "Look, Daring, your father and I will give you a wedding allowance. We won't give you any input. You have whatever wedding YOU want with it, and the leftovers can be your wedding gift." 

    "REALLY!?" Daring and the King said in unison.

    "Really." She said sweetly, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Follow your dreams, Daring. If you truly love her, you can't go wrong." She paused and glanced at her husband before continuing. "Your father didn't always love me, and neither I, him. We spent years having to learn to love each other. You have a great gift Daring. Being able to have someone, you CHOSE, to love from such a young age. Do me a favor though." Daring looked at her questioningly. "Don't ever let that love fade, no matter what troubles you may go through, always fight for your love. One day, it may be the biggest battle you ever have to fight, even bigger than a dragon... promise me?"

    "I promise mom."

    "Good." She smiled brightly. "As soon as I get the funds from the treasury, you run straight to your bride, and plan the wedding YOU want."

    "Thank you." Rarely had anything made Daring cry, but his mother's kindness and amazing love were enough to make his eyes water. Daring stared at her thoughtfully. If ever he and Cerise had children, he would want Cerise to be as great a mother as his own, maybe better.

    "Run along," The King ordered. His smile was as big as his wife's. Her mood was obviously infectious. "Pack quickly, you don't want to keep your future wife waiting."

    Daring rushed out of the room and up the stairs that led to his quarters. Perhaps, he would not have to postpone the wedding after all. He could not wait to get to Cerise and tell her the good news.