Chapter 14 | Ice

Todoroki's Pov.

  "You'd die right on the spot if that's the case," Ashido's words echoed in his head.

  "No... That can't be right," Todoroki said. But it didn't feel like he was talking to Ashido. More like he was trying to tell himself this to calm himself...

  "It's true... I haven't seen that personally, but I know about it..." Ashido put a hand under her chin, "Some of the crushes try to kiss the person with Hanahaki because they pity them, but it only ends up killing the person with Hanahaki. I-"

  "Then how do you know I'm not going to die when you force us to kiss?" Todoroki tried not to show it in his voice, but he was a little nervous now. Not only did this kiss effect his life, but if he didn't even try this kiss then he would die anyway!

  "Because my ships always work," Ashido told him.

  "Great... My life is based on you saying your ships work..." Todoroki said sarcastically.

  "Well maybe you could have a little more faith in me!" Ashido huffed, "I'm trying to help you!"

  "I'll have more faith in you when I physically see you get two people together," Todoroki promised, "But no faith until then."

  "Fine..." Ashido sighed, "Jeeze... You're probably my most stubborn Hanahaki patient."

  "Since when am I your patient?" Todoroki questioned.

  "Since I saw you had Hanahaki," Ashido nodded her head, "But as you noticed, you were my patient before too because I shipped you with Momo. I guess I'll have to change up how we're going to get you together though. We need it done withing three to four weeks."

  Todoroki's eyes widened and he thought his heart stopped beating for a second. 

  "You're saying I only have a single month left?" Todoroki hoped it wasn't true... 

  "Exactly why we need to get you together!" Ashido flailed her arms around, but then calmed down, "But also for the audience."

  "Hmm?" Todoroki didn't know what she meant by that. Was someone watching them? Maybe she just means the cameras UA set up. That was probably it. 

  "Don't worry about it," Ashido assured him, "Right now, our top priority is for you to confess to Momo and then kiss her."

  "Then I might take the chance of dying? No," Todoroki told her, "I guess I'll just live as long as I can while we're here, and then I'll get the surgery when I can."

  "No way! You love the ability to fall in love but don't even gain any cool powers!" Ashido reasoned(?), "Don't do this. Do you know how Momo will feel when she hears you can't fall in love? She'll get Hanahaki too! She'll know that her love for you is one sided! It's... A really sad but common thing for a person with Hanahaki to get the surgery and then the crush of that person gets Hanahaki later... Depending on how much money they have, they may or may not be able to afford it and they usually die..."

  "Why do you care so much?" Todoroki wondered.

Momo's Pov.

  'Mina... That was so embarrassing... Why did you do this..?'

  Her face was all red and her heart was beating fast. 

  But then she just sighed. Todoroki would pretend like that never happened anyway... So did it even matter anymore..?

  "Could I get some water?" Momo asked Iida.

  "Sure," Iida nodded, "You just can't drink all of it."

  Momo nodded and created a plastic cup out of her arm. She lifted the jug, which was kind of heavy and poured it in the cup. She tried not to spill it, but unfortunately a few drops went over the side. 

  She set the jug back down and sipped the water. It was strange... The water wasn't bad, it was just warm. Warm water kind of tasted sort of strange. Especially when it was warm out too. 

  Momo glanced around, but Todoroki wasn't at the campsite. She looked toward the river, and there he was. Talking to Mina. He might have been scolding her or telling her not to do things like what she just did. Maybe something completely different for all she could tell. 

  Momo decided to walk over so that she could ask for some ice. She got another glass of water for Todoroki in case he wanted some. If she couldn't talk to him after that moment with Mina, there was no way she would be able to get any closer to him now than before. Even if many embarrassing things happened...

  Memory of hitting him with a broom and then kissing him later that night stuck in her mind. Why did it have to appear right then though?

  She shook her head around to get the idea out of her head as blush filled her face. Why did the things you didn't want to remember always come to haunt you?

  "Um... Todoroki," she said his name.

   "Hm?" he turned to look at her.

  "Um.. Could you maybe make some ice for me? I- Um... Got you a glass of water too," Momo asked him awkwardly.

  "Sure," Todoroki created a large ice pillar next to them.

  She jumped back in surprise, spilling the water... Oh her shirt... It absorbed the water and turned sort of see-through...

  Momo turned away immediately and crossed her arms over her body, praying he didn't see her bra... Her face flushed pink. 

  "Sorry..." Todoroki said from behind her, "I didn't mean to-"

  "N-No! It's alright!" she interrupted quickly, "It'll dry quickly, don't worry!"

  She gave Todoroki his cup of water and then broke off a few pieces from the ice pillar to put in her cup.

  Her shirt was soaked through where she spilled the water. Maybe this shirt didn't do well with water? You could see her bra easily where the water was spilled... How mortifying...

  She hid behind the pillar of ice and sipped her water.

  "Thank you, I appreciate the ice," Momo told him after she gained the composure to speak to him.

  When Todoroki didn't say anything for a few minutes, she left him there.