Chapter 6 | Walking Around the Forest

Todoroki's Pov.

  They all got off the bus.

  "Okay... Your partner is the one that you must work with during your time here... We will monitor your teamwork from here on out... We know who you sat with, so you can't get out of it... You may work with other teams... There are supplies scattered everywhere... Class rep, you tell everyone the rest..." Mr. Aizawa's instructed vaguely, and then handed Iida a bunch of paper and a bag before zipping up his yellow sleeping bag and rolling back to the bus.

  Todoroki knew that Iida would explain everything better than his teacher. Yaoyorozu was standing next to him. Probably because she was the Vice-Class Representative. He was silently relieved that she was up there and not standing next to him. He was trying to get away from her. Not closer.

  "Okay, let me give you a better explanation," Iida started, "You must work with your partner through this whole exercise. If you do not, then both of you will fail. Throughout this week, you must survive... and..." Iida looked really pale, "sometimes, you do not have much on you, so during this trip, you will not have anything you brought with you..."

  And on that cue, the bus drove off.

  Everyone but Iida, Bakugo, and Todoroki ran after it, but they couldn't catch up. Midoriya wasn't using his quirk though either. He probably could've caught up if he used his quirk. 

  "No!" everyone else shouted as the bus disappeared from sight.

  "Why didn't you chase it!?" Kaminari and Mineta tried shaking Iida but failed and the Class Rep stayed composed.

  "This is an exercise by the school, so we must do what it says!" Iida lectured them, "Let me get back to the instructions. There are ten tents randomly scattered through the forest if you need them, but each of them has a challenge to get them, so it may be easier to make a shelter or find a place to stay. You will share a tent or shelter with your partner. There are twenty wristbands, one for each of us. If we get a broken bone or something serious, we can press it, otherwise we cannot."

  Todoroki stiffened. He was trying to get away from Yaoyorozu, not get closer. Sharing a tent wasn't going to help anything.

  Yaoyorozu passed out the wristbands and his heart thumped when she handed him his. What was even more troubling was that they made eye contact at the last second. He wanted to stare into them more.

  'Stop.'

  Kaminari and Mineta started rapidly pressing the button immediately when they got theirs.

  "And there are cameras in most places, so if you press it without need, they will know," Iida looked at them, and told them more guidelines. For example: There were marked boundaries that they had to stay within (but the boundaries were the whole forest, so he didn't consider that a setback).

  As soon as all the wristbands were passed out, they all headed into the forest.

Momo's Pov.

  Momo didn't really know what to do when she saw Todoroki's emotionless stare follow her. She hoped her shirt wasn't see-through... Even though she knew it wasn't anxiety crept through her as she passed out the rest of the wristbands and then put one on her own wrist. 

  They started walking through the forest.

  Momo couldn't help but feel insecure while glancing around the trees. There were cameras everywhere. They were watching her. Well... Her whole class. The UA staff were watching her whole class.

  But then she breathed a sigh of relief when she remembered it was just the UA staff. Unless... Someone hacked into the cameras! That would be bad...

  She tensed up again.

  'But UA wouldn't let hackers get into their cameras. They have a barrier that closes up everything if someone without an ID tag walks in. But... It's failed us before...'

  Momo shook her head around to clear her clouded thoughts. 

  She glanced toward Todoroki and then decided to walk next to him. 

  "When Mr. Aizawa said we're camping, I didn't expect this," she attempted to start a conversation. Keyword "attempted".

  He just nodded back. 

  'I guess he just doesn't want to talk... Probably because we're sharing a tent...'

  She blushed and then ran over to talk to Tsu.

  "Hello, Tsu," Momo greeted her.

  That was when everyone was crowded around Ochaco. She was really confused for a second, but then Momo realized she had food. 

  She didn't run up to get any though. She wasn't that hungry anyway. Then a thought crossed her mind.

  'Even if I'm not hungry... I should eat something, right? I'm going to need to create supplies for everyone today so we can survive...'

  She tried to walk up to Ochaco, but then realized all the trail mix was gone...

  Momo just sighed. This was just something that she'd have to deal with later. Luckily she had eaten a good breakfast.

  At least the weather was nice though. No storm clouds and there was a lot of shade. Momo could only hope that the weather would stay this pleasant. A soft breeze blew around them. To her surprise, it wasn't very humid even though it was summer. Birds chirped, but you couldn't tell where they were coming from. Their songs were light and happy. 

  She could only hope that this camping trip wouldn't end up being awkward... Her plan was to get closer to Todoroki... But this was just happening all too fast... Sleeping next to Todoroki..? No... That was a little too close... 

  Momo's stomach churned with uneasiness and her face heated up. She placed her hands on her cheeks just in case someone else saw. How embarrassing... She accepted that she had feelings for Todoroki, technically almost the whole class knew, but it she was still flustered over her crush. Even though he knew. 

  It was shameful that she couldn't build up the courage to say three words to him. Why was "I like you" just so hard to say..?