Chapter 3 | Returned

Momo's Pov.

  "Sorry," Mina's voice could be heard behind her.

  "Sorry for wha-" Momo was cut off when she was pushed forward.

  Todoroki turned around at that moment and caught her at the last moment. His reflexes were amazing! How did Ashido predict that he was going to catch her? Unless she wanted her to fall on top of him instead as she did to Ochaco and Midoriya... 

  Her cheeks heated up a little bit as she stood up straight hastily.

  "Ashido," Todoroki was glaring at the acid-quirked girl.

  "Hehe... Sorry, I accidentally tripped her because we were walking so close together," Mina lied.

  'Mina... This will only end worse for you...'  

  "You clearly pushed her," Todoroki's eyes narrowed even more.

  "Okay, jeeze! Sorry!" Mina put her hands up.

  "Are you alright, Yaoyorozu?" Todoroki turned his sight to her. His eyes softened when their gazes connected.

  "Yeah," she nodded, "She only pushed me, it wasn't like I was going to get that hurt."

  "Uraraka's head started bleeding when she tripped and fell the other day," Todoroki commented, "Ashido's push could've caused your head to bleed."

  "I'm fine," Momo told him truthfully. She wasn't a little kid... She could take care of herself...

  They boarded the bus and sat in their assigned places. Todoroki sat at the window seat. The seats were comfortable, but not very big... Her arm brushed up against Todoroki's and she was the farthest from the other end as she could be. It made her tense up a little bit... This new warmth was something she wasn't accustomed to.

  The bus started moving. She realized that Midoriya and Ochaco were sitting in front of her instead of Toru and Midoriya. 

  "Just as expected..." she heard Todoroki mutter next to her. 

  "Hm?" Momo glanced at him.

  "Nothing," he replied, looking out the window.

  After a few minutes of uncomfortable quiet, Todoroki started speaking.

  "You left your book in the classroom," he broke the silence.

  He took the book out of his pocket and handed it to her. The warmth from his left hand was still there. She wondered if his left side was warm naturally and his left side was cold normally. If that were true, the hand on his left side was probably warm- 

  'That's just creepy, Momo...'

  "So that was where it was..." she mumbled, taking it from him, and then she spoke louder, "Thank you Todoroki, I'm glad you found it. It's much safer in your hands than in Mineta's."

  Momo realized what she said and felt blood rush to her face. She turned it away and waited for a reply.

  It's not that she was glad that Todoroki had her book or anything- It was definitely that it was somewhere where she was able to get it back. And also it wasn't in Mineta's hands. That would've been distressing...

  She looked back at him and he just nodded.

  'Should I start another conversation? Maybe he doesn't want to talk or something... But what if he's just shy and does want to talk? No. Todoroki's not shy. He just doesn't want to talk.'

Todoroki's Pov.

  "Just as expected," Todoroki remarked as Midoriya and Uraraka were sitting next to each other.

  "Hm?" he heard Yaoyorozu's voice next to him and felt his cheeks heat up a little bit.

  "Nothing," Todoroki looked out the window so that he didn't have to look at her. He'd probably blush even more, and he didn't want her to talk needlessly. She probably didn't want to speak to him anyway. He wasn't sure anyway.

  They sat there, silence clouding them. Again, he wasn't sure if it was uncomfortable or comfortable.

  Eventually, he just wanted to say something, so he pulled her book out of his pocket.

  "You left your book in the classroom," she took it from his hand. He felt his heart skip a beat as their fingers brushed.

  'Stop.'

  That was the word he persisted to tell himself, but it didn't work the way he required.

  She said something inaudible but then spoke louder, "Thank you Todoroki, I'm glad you found it. It's much safer in your hands than in Mineta's."

  Todoroki continued to stare out the window before nodding, but it was because he didn't want her to see his blush. He didn't look into her eyes. He was being so rude... And it wasn't that he didn't care, but he was getting worried about the feelings stirred inside him. Imagine what would happen if he let them overtake him.

  He remembered the touch of her lips; they were unbelievably soft and tasted like peach chapstick. Even though it was only for that split second, he couldn't forget it. No matter how hard he tried. He might almost go as far as to say that it was addict-

  'Stop.'

  He felt his cheeks heat up even more and he felt the nerve to shake his head around but didn't want to worry Yaoyorozu.

  "Hey... So um..." Yaoyorozu tried, "We haven't talked for a long time. So how have you been?"

  Todoroki turned his head to look at her slowly.

  "Okay," he responded, "What about you?"

  "Um... Great, yeah, I don't know if I can say the same about Ochaco, but uh... Yeah," she told him.

  Their gazes connected, but he looked away as fast as humanly possible. 

  This conversation was going nowhere. Maybe he was the tiniest bit scared to talk to her, but he didn't want to leave the conversation at that.

  "What is your book about?" Todoroki wondered so that the conversation didn't die.  

  "Oh, it's fantasy. It's about a girl who got transported to a different world," Yaoyorozu answered, "I'm at the scene where-" she cut herself off as pink dusted her cheeks. Was she embarrassed? About what?

He blinked at her in confusion. What was she trying to hide?

"N-Never mind!" she waved the thought away. They sat there for a moment in silence.

"Jeeze, I've never seen a more awkward conversation in my life," Ashido walked back to tell them.

  Todoroki wasn't going to deal with her right now. He glared at her until she went away. But he couldn't help but blush a little bit when Ashido was gone.