Advice - Platonic!Ellen Jennings x Reader (Dog with a Blog) (Request)

Requested by @justabatbat on Wattpad. I hope I delivered what you wanted (it's been so long since I watched Dog with a Blog, I hope I did Ellen some justice), and sorry it took me a while! The Christmas week kind of threw me off.

(Y/N) had a slight spring in her step as she walked through her neighborhood. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday in Pasadena, so (Y/N) thought she could go and surprise her friend Avery. She skipped up the walkway of Avery's house and rang the doorbell.

(Y/N) smiled as the familiar face of Avery's mom, Ellen Jennings opened the door. "Oh, hi (Y/N)! What a nice surprise!"

"Hi Mrs. Jennings, is Avery home?"

Ellen's face dropped a little, having to deliver slightly disappointing news to the young girl. "Oh, I'm sorry. Avery's actually out running errands with Bennett right now, but they should be back soon. You can come in to wait though."

"Ok, sure!" Ellen stepped out of the way and let (Y/N) walk into the house. (Y/N) looked around the living room with a smile. Ellen looked at the young girl with a smile. She was always fond of her. Avery very rarely brought her friends over, she knew that Avery felt a little embarrassed by her, so being able to meet more friends than just Lindsay was a nice treat for Ellen.

"Did you want something to drink?" Ellen asked, walking around the back of the couch toward the kitchen.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to be a bother, Mrs. Jennings."

Ellen waved her off. "Oh, it's no bother at all, come on," she said, motioning for the timid girl to follow her into the kitchen. "And you can just call me Ellen, dear, after all: it's just us gals," she said, trying to be the "cool" parent. "Gal pals, am I right? Ha, good one, Ellen," she laughed loudly.

Now, Avery probably would've rolled her eyes at her mother, but (Y/N) smiled and laughed a bit at the older woman's antics. (Y/N) never understood why Avery got annoyed with her mom. She was always amused by Ellen, especially by her puns. It was a bit unfortunate, but (Y/N) liked spending more time with Ellen than she did her own mother.

"Just take a seat at the table. What would you like to drink?"

"Just water, please," (Y/N) said, taking a seat. Ellen watched the girl with curious eyes. Normally, (Y/N) was a lot more lively. She usually laughed really hard at her jokes, and she was always moving, whether it be shifting back and forth from foot to foot or bouncing her leg up and down. But instead, (Y/N) was just sitting quietly at the table.

(Y/N) hadn't really noticed her own change in behavior because she was too lost in thought. Part of the reason that (Y/N) had wanted to come over to Avery's was because she woke up to a silent house. She loved spending time with her dad, but he was currently serving overseas, so (Y/N) was alone with her mom. It wasn't that (Y/N) didn't like her mom, it was actually quite the opposite. She wanted to spend time with her mom, it just always felt like her mom was never home. More often than not, she would be gone before (Y/N) got up, and even though she came home in time to make dinner, she always ate quickly because she brought work home with her to do. There would even be times when (Y/N) had to bike to places because her mom wasn't home to take her anywhere. (Y/N) was thankful that her mom did show up to things like concerts or rally's if (Y/N) had been a part of it, but she would always be in a rush to get home to continue working. Work just always seemed to be more important.

That morning had been no different. She woke up and came downstairs to find a note on the fridge saying, Be back for dinner, have a nice day sweetie! Although bothered by the constant absence, (Y/N) never really let her mom know how much it hurt waking up to an empty household. She never really knew how to bring it up.

(Y/N) snapped out of her thoughts when Ellen set a glass of water in front of her. "Oh, thank you."

Ellen narrowed her eyes at the girl, opening her mouth to say something, closing it, before ultimately deciding to ask, "(Y/N) are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm-" (Y/N) stopped herself. Would it be too much to ask for a second opinion? "Actually, can I ask your advice on something, Ellen?" she asked, testing out the name, finding it kind of weird.

Ellen's eyes widened. This never happened. "Oh! Oh gosh!" So, Ellen started to excitedly freak out, as one does. "A kid actually wants my advice. In your face, Bennett! Oh, this is so exciting! Avery never asks me for advice!" (Y/N) kind of just sat there watching the older woman talking to herself, wondering if this was a good idea. Ellen finally remembered that she wasn't alone and the question at hand, so she sat down with (Y/N) at the dining table. "Alright, lay it on this momma-bear. What do you need my help with?"

(Y/N) blinked for a second before trying to figure out the right words. "Well, it's actually about moms. More specifically, my mom." As (Y/N) launched into the explanation about her situation with her mom, Ellen's funny demeanor changed into a serious one, noting just how heart broken the girl seemed. As she listened, she realized just how similar (Y/N)'s situation was to her own when she was growing up, and she never wanted that on anyone else. "So, what do you think I should do?"

Ellen had to think for a bit. "Well, I know it's a difficult time, with your father not being home. It's hard to say how your mom is feeling with all this, whether she works so much because she wants to provide a lot for you, or this is her way of coping with your dad being gone so much. And I understand that it can get very lonely for you. One very important thing you can do is keep your friends close." As Ellen was talking, she had gotten up to make lunch for the two. "I know that Avery and Lindsay will be willing to help you, and you are always welcome here if you need company. That said, I think you should try to bring it up with your mom the next time you see her. You're just like Avery, you put on a brave face for your mom, but I'll tell you the same thing I told her, you don't have to always be brave. Don't be afraid to show your mom that you're upset about not seeing her. If you want to spend time with her, tell her. As much as we love our kids, us moms can be a little oblivious, but isn't everyone?"

That made (Y/N) laugh slightly. That was actually really solid advice. As Ellen set a few plates with sandwiches on the table in front of her, (Y/N) smiled at the woman and said, "Thank you."

"It's no biggie, I'm a mom, lunch is my specialty," Ellen said, trying to make light of the situation. She made a fart noise and looked embarrassed before saying, "Well, among other things."

(Y/N) realized what Ellen was trying to do and she burst out laughing. Ellen smiled, knowing her plan to make the girl laugh had succeeded. "I meant, thank you for the advice, silly," (Y/N) said as she calmed down.

"You're welcome." The two shared happy smiles as they ate their lunch, waiting for the rest of the family to return.