I Miss Him - Riku x Reader (Kingdom Hearts)

(takes place at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3, so spoiler alert is in effect)

Riku laughed as he ran across the beaches of the Destiny Islands, racing against Roxas and Terra. Everyone around him was having fun. Aqua and Mickey were laughing at the boys, watching them and cheering them all on. Naminé and Xion were looking at shells down at the water's edge. Donald, Goofy, Pence, Hayner, and Olette were building sand sculptures of both Mickey and Donald. Axel, Isa and Ventus were throwing Axel's frisbee around. Well, that was until it crashed into Donald's sand sculpture. Ventus tried to apologize to Donald, but it couldn't be heard over Donald's angry shouts and laughs from the others. It felt good to finally relax for once, and not have to worry about battling any heartless, nobodies, unversed or black-coated weirdos.

Well, almost everyone was having fun. Everyone had noticed that there were a few people missing. Goofy and Donald tried to run to aid their friend, but Mickey stopped them. Riku and everyone else looked to the Paopu fruit tree where Kairi sat. She sat with a shimmering image of Sora, but everyone knew that it wouldn't last. After the Keyblade War, Sora had ventured off on his own to find Kairi again, and unfortunately, Sora didn't make it back. He couldn't come back permanently, just in short images before having to return to the Final World.

Everyone missed Sora terribly, but Riku and Kairi took it the hardest. And...(Y/N). (Y/N) was Sora's older sister, and losing Sora like that hadn't been easy for her, and Riku's heart ached for her, just seeing how much pain she was in. Riku began to look around at his friends and realized the girl was not with them at all. Of course, he knew immediately where she would be.

He started walking toward the pathway that led to their secret spot from when they were younger. Terra and Aqua tried to ask him where he was going, but he waved them off, motioning for them to keep playing.

When he got to the entrance to their secret spot, it shocked him just how difficult it was to get in. He had gone through a few growth spurts over his time away, so he had to duck as he walked along the path. The small cave filled him with so many memories of when he, Kairi, Sora and (Y/N) were young kids, as all of their drawings still covered the walls.

Immediately, his eyes went to the (h/c) haired girl sitting in front of a specific drawing, her knees drawn up to her chest. For the longest time, Riku would never admit it to himself. He was in love with (Y/N). When they were younger, Riku tried to convince himself that he truly liked Kairi, and that he wasn't just pursuing her to A, get on Sora's nerves, and B, to forget about (Y/N). But after losing himself to the darkness and almost losing her in the Keyblade War, he finally came to terms with how he felt. He just had yet to tell her.

"(Y/N)?" Riku's voice startled (Y/N), since she had been sitting in silence for so long.

She looked over her shoulder at the tall, silver-haired boy and said, "Oh, hey, Riku."

Riku walked toward her and took a seat on the ground next to her. He looked up at the wall, smiling at the picture she had been staring at. He had to laugh a little bit. "I remember when you drew this. I see you've added to it."

(Y/N) looked at the drawing again. The original drawing was done shortly after Kairi had arrived at the Destiny Islands. (Y/N) had drawn her, Riku, Sora, and Kairi all holding hands. There were now many new groups holding hands around the original four, all of their new friends. "I remember nearly tackling you to the ground to show you this."

This time, Riku let out a big hearty laugh. "Nearly? You did tackle me to the ground. I had the bruises to prove it." The two let out more laughs, remembering the memory.

After their laughs died down, (Y/N)'s smile fell, as the memory reminded her of her brother. She looked down at her lap. Losing Sora hit her hard, because she blamed herself for him fading away. Her whole life she'd looked out for Sora. Getting him out of trouble, protecting him when he needed it, just being by his side through their whole journey.

Riku frowned at her change in mood. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side, giving her a hug. Had (Y/N) not been really sad, she probably would've started blushing furiously. She'd been in love with her best friend for so long, but every time she had gotten the courage to say something, they had to leave each other. For now, (Y/N) relished the comfort that Riku offered her and laid her head on his shoulder. "I miss him so much," she whispered.

Riku laid his head on hers. "I know. So do I."

"Do you think he'd be here if I had gone with him?"

Riku's head shot up. He gently took (Y/N) by the chin and made her look up at him. "Hey, don't do that. Don't play the 'what if' game. You can't blame yourself for this. Remember what I had said to Mickey? He made up his mind and heart, and nothing we could've done would have made him change his mind. It was a journey he needed to make alone."

(Y/N) shook her head, tears springing at her eyes. "But if I had been there with him, to protect him, like I had been every other moment of this journey then he would be here! I could have saved him!"

"You don't know that. Even if you had gone with him, there'd be a possibility of you not coming home."

"Who cares? As long as he came back!"

"Who cares? (Y/N) we all would care! I would care."

"Sora matters so much more, though! I wasn't there for him and now he's gone! I would give my life for his if it brought him back."

Riku stared at the girl in front of him in disbelief. Did she really think that low of herself to believe that they wouldn't all miss her just the same? "(Y/N)..." He pulled her closer to him in a bigger hug, (Y/N) tucking her head under his chin as she cried into his chest. "I know you miss Sora. But remember that one world you told me about? The one with the kid, Hiro? You told me that he lost his brother, too. He told you that he always remembered his brother in his heart. And you know better than anyone that strong hearts are connected, no matter what. And Sora's heart will always be connected to ours. And please don't blame yourself. No one could have known that this would happen, whether you had been there or not. You matter just as much as Sora. I mean it when I say we would all be distraught over losing you. I know I would miss you too much to be able to function."

(Y/N)'s eyes widened when she heard that. She pulled back from the hug to look at Riku's face clearly. She searched his green eyes for any hint of a lie, but all she could see was sincerity. "You mean that?"

Riku reached up to wipe away the tears off her cheeks. "I do. I would miss you so damn much. You mean so much to me, (Y/N). It was you who helped lead me out of the darkness. You're more than just my best friend." Riku paused. He rubbed his thumb across her cheek and watched her (e/c) eyes shine. He couldn't help but blush as he admitted, "I love you, (Y/N)." Deciding to be bold, he leaned in and placed a delicate kiss on her cheek.

(Y/N)'sface flushed a bright red as she reached up to touch the spot where Riku kissedher. "Riku, I-" She couldn't find the words at all, only being able to stammer fora bit. So, instead of using words, she let her actions speak for her. Shepulled Riku in by his collar and placed a kiss on his lips. Riku was briefly surprisedby this, but he soon responded in the kiss and cupped her face in his hands. Therewas nothing forceful about the kiss. It was gentle, but full of love andpassion. (Y/N) broke away from it to breathlessly say, "I love you, too."