16

"I welcomed you back to the BAU, I put you back on the team," Strauss started. "I had faith in you when others told me you were too reckless, too damaged."

I sat in one of the chairs opposite her desk, she was sitting with her back straight and hands intertwined on her desk.

"Cut to the chase, ma'am, what is it that you want from me?" I asked.

"With the changes the bureau is facing," she sighed, "I believe it is best if Agent Hotchner is to step down as unit chief."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Are you serious?" I shook my head in disbelief, "and why is that?"

Rumor had it that Aaron was getting some heat, but I had no idea that they wanted him out of the picture entirely.

"After Jack was abducted, we started an investigation, that's why you were questioned after the case," Strauss continued. "We believe that Agent Hotchner's ability to lead has been compromised, and it would be in the team's best interest to have someone else take over."

"And by we, you mean you?" I glared at her, there was no doubt that Aaron was the best choice for the position, everybody thought so. Everybody except Strauss. "This is what you asked of Agent Prentiss when she was new to the bureau, she told me, are you really that insecure in your own abilities?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"You have been investigating him for five years, and for what? You're scared that the directors will think his methods are more efficient? That they will like him more? That they will give him your job?" I scoffed. "No," I said, "with all due respect, I would never whisper in your ear about Aaron Hotchner."

"From what I've heard, you and Agent Hotchner aren't getting along very well," she said. "Wouldn't it be for the best to have someone else fill his position?"

"No, we're not on great terms right now," I sighed and looked down at my hands. "But it doesn't change anything, it doesn't change his ability to do his job," I looked up and met her stone cold stare, "he is one of the best, one of the finest agents you will ever have the privilege to work with, he is the one you rely on when things get tough."

"Listen to me very carefully, Agent Blake," she warned, "if you want to keep your position at the bureau-"

"No, you listen to me," I stood up and leaned over her desk, "I will never help you play dirty." I glared at her as I felt the anger in my fingertips, "and if you ever threaten my job or my boss, ever again, I will personally destroy you."

"Is that a threat?" Strauss raised her eyebrows, trying to look challenging.

"Oh, it's a promise."

She let out a long breath, "as I said, if you want to keep your position at the bureau, you should think long and hard about what you say next."

I swallowed the anger, digging my nails into my palms. All I could see was Aaron sitting in his office, going over a case that I knew he would pour his heart into, proving, once again, his loyalty to a job that would so easily stab him in the back.

"I'll be caught dead before forming an alliance with you," I spat, "I would rather quit, than do your dirty work, ma'am."

"Take a few days to think about it," she said. "Think about your future here at the BAU, think about what this could mean for your career," she stared at me, like if she looked hard enough I would change my mind.

"I don't have to think about it, you will have my two weeks notice on your desk by the time we close this case," I said curtly. "Now, if you would excuse me," I smiled sweetly, "I have a plane to catch."

I left her office fuming, I wanted to tell her to fuck off, but I bit my tounge. I put the case files in my bag and threw it over my shoulder. Spencer gave me a look and opened his mouth to say something, but quickly stopped himself when I glared at him, telling him my brain was in a different mode. I felt about ready to strangle someone.

I had noticed that it took less and less for my anger to boil up. I found myself holding back the rage more often than not, and it was exhausting. Everyone said I had a temper, but not one person ever asked why it had developed, or what it protected me from. There was more going into my brain and body than I could handle and still be myself.

We drove to the airport in silence, everyone was on edge. When a teammate, a friend, was arrested for homicide, it was a wake up call for all of us. Suddenly, the job, and everything that came with it, became so painstakingly real. We all knew Derek wasn't guilty, however, in the hands of a desperate detective with three bodies on his hands, he might as well be.

The station was buzzing with officers drinking coffee and casually chatting amongst themselves, like they didn't even know we were coming. Aaron disappeared immediately to go and talk to Derek, the rest of us were left to figure out how to solve this thing as quickly and smoothly as possible. 

The detective then thanked us for helping him with the arrest, which took everyone by surprise. We tried our hardest to defend Derek, but the detective was stubborn and thoroughly convinced he was the murderer. His criminal record didn't help make his case either. Everyone on the team could sense the uneasiness, the feeling of not belonging, of being surrounded by the enemy and not knowing who to trust. We were not only on unknown territory, but we were also unwanted.

"We need to figure out who killed these boys before they decide to charge Morgan," Dave said when we were left alone.

"What do you want us to do?" Emily asked.

"Well," Dave sighed, "the last victim was someone Morgan was seen with, and he was already a suspect in the other two."

"So, someone set him up?" I raised my eyebrows, the longer we stayed, the more nauseous I got. I had a bad feeling about this one. "We should consider him a victim, then?"

Dave nodded, "Prentiss, you and Reid talk to Morgan's family, learn about him, especially during the time of the first murder."

"Do we have his address?" Emily asked.

"I can take you," another detective said.

"Okay," Emily nodded, not sounding very thrilled, "lead the way, detective."

As soon as Emily and Spencer were out of the station, Aaron showed up.

"According to Morgan, he's got a bad history with detective Gordinski," he said quietly.

"He's got a bad history in general," Dave sighed and handed him Derek's criminal record.

"Resisting arrest, vandalism, aggravated battery," Aaron furrowed his eyebrows, "this is Morgan?"

"As a juvenile," I said, getting defensive over him.

I didn't like the way we were looking into his past, everything we needed to know about him, he should tell us himself. But this was the way it had to be done, and I knew it. However, my gut told me to turn around now, before something broke that could never be replaced.

"This isn't in his personnel file," Aaron looked up at me.

"Neither is everything from my past," I shrugged and sat down next to JJ, "doesn't have to mean anything, just that he was a kid when it happened."

"He said he told me everything relevant," Aaron said with a kind of urgency in his voice.

"Then, he either lied or he doesn't consider this relevant," I read through the papers again.

"Since when is the criminal history of a suspect not relevant," he breathed

I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"You just called him a suspect."