Chapter 24 - Impasse

Jia was not her usual self and Jin noticed this. He knows it had something to do with Jeon and Hei-Won being away on a trip. He wanted to help her think less about it. Thus, after her last fitting for an awards show, he asked her to be his date for a concert he was invited to.

"Jia, do you feel like going home already?"

"No, why?"

"I've been invited to the YS Family Concert. You want to come with me?"

"Er....is this a date, Jin?"

"Uhm, sort of? But if-"

"Ok."

"Seriously.........what?"

"I said, ok. I need to get changed though."

"Let's look at your clothes in the van."

---

Hei-Won was scanning through her social media accounts while waiting for Jeon to order coffee and some sweets.  She saw that Jia liked her IG photos and smiled in satisfaction. So Jia has seen us together, good. There is a small bit of guilt worming its way inside of her though.

An article on one of the online Korean gossip sites caught her eye. It showed a photo of Jia and Jin together in a concert. They were dressed casually and it looked like an unofficial photo, which must mean they were on a date? This was a new development that she welcomed. But since when were they this cozy together?

"Any problem in the office?" Jeon sat beside her and set in front of her a steaming cup of cappuccino and some cannoli.

"No. I just saw something about Jin and JIa.  Are they dating?" She showed him the picture on her phone.

Jeon took a look at the photo and said calmly, "Not that I know of. But Jin did say he was attracted to Jia and planned to ask her out."

"Really? Is that ok between you boys? With us girls that is a no-no. I'd feel bad if a guy I liked would date my friend."

"It's ok. Jia was never my girlfriend."

"But you liked her and she liked you back. If Jin was sensitive enough, he knows he should-"

"ENOUGH," Jeon said, sharper than he intended.

"I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing." 

I seem to be saying that a lot huh?"

"Hei-Won, just once, I'd like to be with you without ever hearing Jia's name. Is that possible?"

"Sure," Hei-won said curtly.

It was quiet, so quiet after that. She was observing Jeon, who suddenly didn't seem in a good mood anymore. Was it because of the photo she showed? Or was it because of her? She remembered what happened last night and felt angry. How dare he tell her not to mention Jia when he has her on his mind?

Hei-won felt an inner panic, it was like she was drowning. Why couldn't she seem to do anything right? She felt like she was losing her mind. At the rate they were going, she just wanted to go home.

"Kookie, is it possible to rebook our tickets for an earlier flight?"

"Why?"

"Can we just go home tomorrow?"

Jeon sighed. He was tired of the arguments, tired of walking on eggshells around her, tired of figuring out where he went wrong.

"Sure, "He said coldly. "I'll call the agency right now. Excuse me."

He stood up and left her, walking out of the café to get some air.

---

Jia saw the gossip article about them as Jin was driving her home. It surprised them that there was an article that focused on them since Jin was her manager, not a celebrity. But it was mentioned in the article that Jin was good–looking enough to be a Kdrama actor and could have been the reason why she, Jia, thought of dating him.

"Jin, I'm so sorry about this. I hope we both won't get in trouble with Galaxy for this."

"Let me handle it. And no need to be sorry, Jia. I had fun, did you?"

"Yes, I did, surprisingly. I'm not much of a concert person but I enjoyed this."

"Do you want to do more of this with me?"

"Jin—"

"Oh boy, here it comes. You're going to reject me, aren't you?"

"If you can call it that. I'll go out with you for as long as you don't expect anything from me."

"Why?"

"Jin, I can only be a friend to you. I think you know why. But we can hang around together if you like."

"That's a good start."

"That's all it ever will be. "

"Are you waiting for them to break up? Is that it?"

"No, I just don't want you to waste your time on me, hoping to get something you will never get."

"Let me worry about that. In the meantime, let's hang out like bats."

"Ugh, Jin. You and your jokes," But she was already laughing.

---

After just three days in Italy, Jeon and Hei-Won boarded a flight back to Seoul. They spoke to each other only when they needed to, the small talk was gone. Jeon felt guilty for liking the silence, it allowed him to relax his mind. 

In all the six years since he started working, he never really took a break even once. He had high hopes for this trip, he was counting on a change of scenery to help him mend his relationship with Hei-Won. At this point, he didn't know anymore what he needed to do. Her fixation on Jia was driving him crazy.

"Kookie, let's break up."

Despite their misunderstandings, he was still surprised to hear this from her. He heard the resignation and defeat in her voice and wondered if it was his fault.

"Hei-Won, don't you think this is something we should talk about when we arrive?"

"Why, are you going to talk me out of it?"

"To be honest, no. I think we've reached a point where being apart right now might help us both."

"So be it then. Nothing more to talk about."

At the Incheon Airport, they still took a cab together but said nothing throughout the ride to Seoul. Jeon dropped Hei-Won off first before going home. Without a word, she took her luggage from him and entered her apartment building.

Despite her insistence to break up with Jeon, she was already missing him. She needed to talk with someone. Upon opening the door to her place, she contacted someone she felt might understand her.

"Hello, Hobi? Remember last time when you said let's talk?"