Chapter 16 - Discernment

July 18, 2020

Jeon entered the hospital room as quietly as he could. Hei-Won was sleeping on the bed, looking a little pale, with an IV drip fastened to her hand. He sat on the chair beside the bed and took her hand, trying his best to drive away negative thoughts.

Her surgery was over. Thankfully she didn't need to undergo open surgery, she was just to spend two more days in the hospital for observation and tests. They were awaiting the results of the biopsies, which would take 7 days. She also had a scheduled CT scan as a precautionary measure, to check her other vital organs for the presence of similar growth or lumps.

It was Hei-Won's mother who told him everything. The night before he met with Jia, Hei-Won's mom visited his mother.

---

July 15, 2020

Jeon was up late, finishing the review of a new documentary. It was close to midnight and he realized he had forgotten to eat dinner. He stepped out of his room and when down to make himself a sandwich. He heard his mother talking, and she sounded emotional.

"-pray for her. Don't worry unnie, Hei-won is a healthy girl, she will be ok."

"I'm worried, she has been losing weight lately. I thought it was from dieting."

"Don't conclude anything yet. We'll know after the biopsy."

"What biopsy? What's wrong with Hei-Won, Halmeoni?"

Both women turned to him in surprise. He rushed to them, a feeling of dread washing over him.

"Eomma? What is this? Were you planning to keep this from me?"

"Kookie, Hei-Won didn't want you to know. She didn't want you to worry."

"Please.......tell me everything."

---

"Kookie?"

She was awake. Jeon saw the guarded look in her eyes, and it bothered him that she worried more about his reaction than herself.

"How are you feeling, baby?"

"I'm ok. You're not supposed to know. How did you find out?"

"I heard our mothers talking. They had no choice but to tell me everything."

He took her hand and brought it to his mouth. She knew he was trying to keep his emotions in check.

"What were you thinking Hei-Won? How can you keep this from me? Did you think I would leave you after finding out?"

"No, no Kookie. It's not like that."

"How could you tell Jia and yet keep it from me?  That hurt."

She tried to sit up but he stopped her. He got up and raised the upper part of her bed. He was worried about her. Why was she so pale? 

"Please don't exert yourself, Hei-Won. Your stitches haven't healed yet."

"Kookie.....I can't have babies anymore." Her voice broke. He sat on the bed and hugged her, holding her carefully to make sure he wouldn't hurt her.

"Sssshhhh. It doesn't matter."

"But......I want to have your baby. I w-wanted a baby boy that l-looked like you."

It was like a knife was cutting through his heart. In all the years he had known Hei-Won, he never saw her cry. She was always his ray of sunshine. Seeing her this way was difficult for him. He tried his best to steady his voice, to sound positive and assuring.