Chapter 10 - Baby Steps

Jia was packing her things when San-Ha entered her room.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"JG is holding a planning session and decided to include even their subsidiaries. "

"Huh? I didn't know that even talents get to attend those things."

"Since I'm a vlogger, I am also a communication channel of the company. They want all communications to be strategic. So I need to present to them my ideas for succeeding vlog episodes. I like this though. It will help me be a better creator."

"Hmmm, you seem happy about this."

"Yes I am. It's a nice opportunity."

"Is.......Jeon attending?"

"Of course he is. He also handles the vlogs and MVs so—wait. Seriously?"

"What? I didn't say anything?"

"Aish, look at you. You're trying so hard not to laugh. Are you laughing at me????"

"Unnie, you're so obvious hahaha."

"You little shit, come here!"

She pulled her sister and they both tumbled in the bed tickling each other, laughing out loud until her luggage spilled the contents. San-ha helped her sort her things while they still continued talking.

"Unnie, seriously though. Will you and Jeon ever patch things up? You said he has a girlfriend now."

"I just want to make him understand why I was like that, that day. Maybe if he understood, we can at least be friends again."

"You don't think he likes you anymore?"

"If he still liked me, do you think he'd have a girlfriend now?"

San-ha reached for her and they hugged tightly. Jia heard San-ha sniffing and pulled away to look at her sister.

"San-ha why are you crying?" She wiped the tears on her sister's cheeks with her thumbs, cupping her sister's face.

"Unnie, I'm so sorry. I kn-know you gave up Jeon because of me," She sobbed, tears continuing to fall down her cheeks.

"You work so hard, you give us all your earnings. I heard appa saying you refuse to have a relationship until I finish college."

Jia felt her tears fall. It was true. She didn't want to get into a relationship and risk any scandal. She was so afraid of losing everything she worked hard for, not for herself but for her family. But she didn't want them to feel guilty about her decisions. This taught her to be more careful about showing them how she felt. She had to convince them she was ok.

"San-ha remember this. I will never regret putting you first. I will help you finish college, find a good job, and then, only then will I feel I have done enough for my family. Please don't cry, unnie is ok."

---

GEOJE ISLAND, 2020

JEON

Jia ended her presentation amid enthusiastic applause. Jeon had to hand it to her, she was really more than just a pretty face. She was damn smart, and it amused him that so many in JG were surprised at how good she was at analysis and strategizing.

She presented a plan using her vlog as a channel for promoting JG idol groups, thus tapping her five million followers as captive audience. She justified the vlog had a lot of reach and would get a lot of engagement from a worldwide audience, thus promoting JG music groups worldwide. Even the newest groups would be enjoying a wide audience while they were just starting to build their following. She also proposed to include covering concerts as part of her regular segments and holding fan-meets with the groups in different countries.

He couldn't help but smile. She was really awesome, and worked harder than any girl he ever met. Her eyes scanned the function room and landed on his. He gave her a salute with his hand, still with the half smile, amused at her surprised expression The smile she gave him was so sweet he felt like his heart jumped out of his chest. He stood up to get some air outside.

---

Jia

He smiled.

A simple half-smile, a salute with his graceful long fingers and her world seemed right again. She smiled back widely but was surprised when he suddenly walked out. She wanted to follow him but was faced with a barrage of questions about her strategic plan.

Later, it was her turn to be amazed. Jeon presented concepts and new technologies for creating videos and documentaries. He showcased the works of video production companies he wanted to work with, special effects that would create buzz for their videos. He closed his presentation with a 60-second video he made, a montage of JG talents' fans, and the activities they organized for their favorite groups.

She clapped enthusiastically even when he didn't look her way.

---

As a reward for the productive sessions, they were given the rest of the day for recreation. Everyone agreed to explore the island and meet up for videoke at night. Jia just wanted to sleep. She stayed in her room for the rest of the afternoon and woke up much later. She took a shower, changed into a white dress, and headed to the Karaoke Hall to catch up with the team.

Someone was singing an English song and his voice was smooth and angelic. His singing brought tears in her eyes, he was singing "Lost Stars" so soulfully. She entered the hall and saw Jeon with the mic, singing his heart out, his eyes closed.

Jeon.

Her best friend

Her best friend.

The guy who won her heart over was singing the saddest, most beautiful song of her favorite American band, and he sounded even better than Adam Levine. Why was she not aware that he could sing so beautifully?

It was thankfully dark in the hall, she sat in a dark corner to watch him. He was singing soulfully and people were clapping. When he got to the line "Don't you dare let our best memories bring you sorrow," she just had to cry her heart out. She missed him so much, prayed every night that things would get better between them again. She was willing to wait, and maybe the smile this morning was a good start.

They made him sing again, this time he sang Justin Bieber's "Purpose." Again, she was amazed at how well he could sing. He was singing songs that she loved singing to him. How ironic, she was singing to someone who sang like a pro, who never let on he was this good. She didn't want to risk being seen crying. Quietly, she stood up while all eyes were on Jeon and left the hall.

Was it really impossible to fulfill her commitment while having Jeon in her life again? She willingly gave up some of her endorsements, the ones that meddled with her personal life too much, thinking that by doing so she can be friends with him again. But he was avoiding her and now he had Hei-Won.

She walked towards the beach, found an empty Gazebo and sat down on the bench, trying to calm herself down. Her face was in her hands, she tried to cry as quietly as possible, not wanting to attract any attention.

She heard footsteps approaching.  Hands were lifting her up to stand, and even without opening her eyes, she knew those hands were Jeon's.