Chapter 8 - Clarity

Seoul 2020

Jia was still staring at Jeon and Hei-Won when someone tapped her shoulder. It was Seokjin, her manager.

"Something wrong Jia?

"Jin-shi, can we stay for a while longer here?"

"Something troubling you?"

"Hmm. I don't know if trouble would be the right word to call it. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You know Jeon pretty well right?"

"We're good friends, yes. Why?"

"Do you know who Hei-Won is?

"Oh. Why do you want to know?"

"She seems to be close to Jeon. I just wanted to be friends with her too."

Jin didn't immediately answer. He seemed to be thinking carefully about what he wanted to say before speaking. He searched her face, as though to see if she had any hidden motives that could get in the way of Jeon's relationship with Hei-Won.

"Hei-Won was Jungkookie's girlfriend back in high school. Do you still want to be friends with her?"

"Oh, I didn't know he had a girlfriend."

"They broke up when Jeon moved to the US."

"Why? Was she against him studying there?"

"No. Hei-Won is very supportive of Kookie's dreams. She broke up with him because she thought it was better for them to concentrate on their dreams back then instead of having to worry about each other in a long-distance relationship."

"Oh. That must have been sad for them both."

This information now gave Jia an idea of why Jeon was sensitive about not being prioritized. Hei-Won broke up with him for the same reason, she refused to have a relationship with him so that they could both prioritize their studies. It must have been frustrating to keep being told that other priorities were more important than having a relationship with him.

"Are they back together?"

"Ah Jia, shouldn't you be asking Kookie about these things? He'd be the better person to answer. "

"I'm sorry Jin-shi. Jeon and I used to be close but we......anyway, long story."

"Kookie is a good guy Jia, but he can be stubborn. Whatever it was that came between you two, talk it over with him. Now, about being friends with Hei-Won, you will see her around often enough. She's a magazine writer and gets invited to a lot of entertainment events. You will bump into each other for sure."

"I see. She seems nice."

"She is. Kookie is very protective of her. They've known each other since they were kids. Their moms are best friends from way back."

Digesting all this information, why did she feel as though she were an intruder about to disrupt a relationship? Jeon and Hei-Won's ties are so strong, she was surprised that he never mentioned Hei-Won even once to her. She wondered if they communicated at all while she and Jeon were already friends. 

Hei-Won's presence in Jeon's life made her realize that there were still things she didn't know about Jeon, making her doubt how real their closeness really was. Was she just a rebound girl for Jeon? Was that why it was easy for him to dismiss her?

Now that she was aware of Hei-Won, she was seriously scared. There was a good chance that Jeon might never come back to her.

---

Jeon was walking with Hei-Won across the park to take her to their favorite restaurant. Today marked a year since he saw her again during Chuseok celebration at home, and he wanted to celebrate that day with her. He was thankful to his mom who relentlessly convinced him to see his friends, six months after he came back. 

"So that's the problem you left in NY." Hei-Won said matter-of-factly.

"How did you know?"

"Kookie, we grew up together. Don't you think I know you so well by now?"

He squeezed her closer to him. "She's not a problem, ok? Don't worry about her."

"I'm not worried for you, Jagiya. I'm actually feeling sad for her."

"Why?"

"Because she seems lost. And maybe a little jealous too."

"Jia is a very focused person, Hei-Won. Whatever feelings you saw earlier, she will get over them like she's done so many times."

"Hmm, you sound so sure. But you don't know how women are. We say things, act a certain way, but it's not always what we really feel."

Jeon laughed at her. "So are you finally admitting that you women are difficult to understand?"

She pinched him playfully on his side, laughing when he groaned.

"Sneaky aren't you? Using my words against me. Fine, yes we are difficult to understand. But so many things are working against us. We're not always taken seriously, nor do men make an effort to understand us, that's why. And people sometimes use our weaknesses against us that's why we have to hide what we really feel sometimes."

"But don't men go through the same thing? It's not like only women feel vulnerable, men go through that too."

"But you have the freedom to pursue whoever you like. Women get labeled so many negative names when they pursue the men they like."

"Aha, we're not talking about pursuit, we're talking about feelings."

"Ugh, I never can win an argument with you."

"Sorry baby, debating team champion here. I'll make it up to you." He moved closer to her to whisper in her ear, his breath tickling her. 

"I kept my afternoon free for you."

"For real?" Her eyes danced and he laughed at how happy she looked.

"Yes. I have the whole afternoon free to argue with you."

"What a bully. I'll order the most expensive item on the menu."

"Whatever makes you happy, baby."

He smiled indulgently at her, feeling good about making her happy. 

For a brief moment, the thought of Jia being lost and jealous crossed his mind, making him uneasy. He had no intention of hurting her, he never planned for her to meet Hei-Won so randomly without warning. 

He mentally shook his head, determined to push her out of his thoughts. But Jia stayed in his mind for the rest of the afternoon.