Chapter 5 - Yearning

SEOUL 2020

Jia

Incheon Airport was bustling with people in March. Japan wasn't the only destination for Cherry Blossoms, South Korea also had its share of beautiful lanes of Cherry Blossom trees that were definitely Instagram-worthy.

But Jia wasn't back home for a holiday. Although she was here for a vacation, Jia was actually exploring work opportunities. After finishing her contracts with brands that gave stringent restrictions on her personal life, she opted out with those that refused to ease up on their conditions. She also ended her ties with Nina, and was looking for an agency to sign up with.

"Jia, over here!"

"Appa!"

Enveloped by her father's warm hug, Jia felt good. Everything was going to be ok. She just had to trust her instincts that she was doing the right thing. It was good to see her father again. Somehow, he always made things simple and better. 

"Do you want to have dinner first?"

"I ate during the flight appa. But having some sweets and coffee would be nice."

"Sweets it is. There's a new place here that serves really nice cakes and good coffee. It's too early for dinner anyway."

They ordered lattes and cheesecake, settled in one corner of the café that gave a nice view of the park in front of it. The cafe wasn't so full and the warm, cozy ambiance of the place was comforting. They enjoyed their desserts while Jia updated her father of future plans and the things she left behind in New York.

She was laughing at something her father said when a familiar face outside the café caught her eye. He was wearing a rust overcoat over a houndstooth sweater, beige pants and sneakers. 

Jeon

Jeon.

His hair was longer now, slightly curly, framing his finely chiseled-face. She remembered that time he slept in her place, when she ran her fingers through his soft, thick hair. Her chest ached, she felt like she needed air. 

Their eyes clashed, but he was laughing at something his caller said, and she thought maybe she just imagined it. Involuntarily she stood up and went out of the café to approach him, but he was gone by the time she was where she found him.

 Involuntarily she stood up and went out of the café to approach him, but he was gone by the time she was where she found him

---

Jeon

Eighteen months after he moved back to Seoul Jeon Jungkook has settled firmly in his niche. Living here was the best decision he had ever made, especially so since he gets to live with his family. He never knew how much he missed them until he saw them again. He enjoyed being pampered by his eomma, eating her wonderful cooking, and going bowling with his dad from time to time. His hyung went home during weekends and they drank together, played the guitar, or tried beating each other playing Overwatch.

He was a homebody, he liked living with his parents because they let him be most of the time. They supported whatever he wanted to do, respected him and not once made him feel he had to follow them just because they were older. In return, he had always been good to them. He never abused their faith in him, nor did he ever feel privileged despite his family's prominent stature.

His career was hectic as ever, especially after his short film won an award in Texas. He was even interviewed in a few shows, and JG Entertainment graciously extended his contract to 5 years more. It was perfect really.

He was walking in the park when his phone suddenly rang. He chatted as he walked, enjoying the cool air. As he passed a café, he was laughing at a joke when his eyes met with the last person he expected to see. 

Here in Seoul. 

Jia was staring back at him, as shocked as he was.

He saw her stand up to go outside, possibly to say hi. What was he going to say to her? He still felt guilty over leaving without going out of his way to say goodbye, because he was afraid she'd ask him to stay and he wouldn't be able to refuse. After four years of waiting for her to come around, he felt he'd had enough. He decided it was time to move on and give himself a chance to date again.

He walked away without turning back to see if she followed him.