Chapter 4 - Decisions

The weeks that followed were so hectic for both Jia and Jeon. Some of Jeon's assignments with Jia were passed on to his assistant director Dan, which pleased Nina but made Jia miserable. She missed him badly, but understood if he preferred to stay away. Their conversation still bothered her but she was just too busy to resolve it now. She kept promising herself that she'd make it up to him after all the work eased up.

Finally, after almost two months of not seeing him, she gathered the courage to call him. It was early evening, she slept for most of the day and wanted to go to Buono with Jeon. She tried his number thrice, but his phone seemed off. She called Dan.

"Hello Dan?"

"Yes, Jia? Are you calling about our next schedule?"

"No. I'm looking for Jeon, actually. Do you know where he is?"

"Oh. He took an indefinite leave. He didn't tell you?"

"Indefinite leave? Since when?"

"Since, three weeks ago. We met with Nina to discuss this."

"Why wasn't I informed Dan?"

"What? Jeon has been trying to set up a meeting with you but Nina said you were busy."

"But why didn't he call me?"

"Oh. I don't know, you'll have to ask him that Jia."

"Ok. Anyway thanks Dan. Does he have a new number?"

"No. His number is still the same."

"Thanks Dan. Bye."

Her heart was beating frantically. Indefinite leave? Was he going through something? Why couldn't her calls get through? Did he block her number?

"Hello Nina? What happened to Jeon?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why can't I contact him? Why is he on indefinite leave?"

"I don't know. Don't you guys talk?"

"You told me to stay away from him."

"What? I never said that, Jia."

"But you didn't like me being friends with him."

Her voice was getting louder. She was having trouble breathing. She was thankful Nina wasn't in front of her, she wanted so badly to hit somebody.

"I merely reminded you of your contracts so that you would be more careful. What did you do?"

"You bitch you implied that I needed to stay away from him."

"Fine, take it out on me but I never said anything like that. Look Jia, this might be for your own good anyway. If he decided to leave without telling you then what kind of friend is he?"

"LEAVE?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

And then she remembered. The JG offer to go back to Seoul, how it was a good offer except for one factor holding him back. Oh God, no.

"Jia? You still there?"

She got off the phone and sank down to her knees. She wanted to cry but couldn't. Her throat felt dry. 

She took her car keys and drove to Jeon's place but got too scared to go up and knock on his door

She took her car keys and drove to Jeon's place but got too scared to go up and knock on his door. She drove to Buono, hoping against hope that he might be there.

"Nathan."

"Took you quite a while huh?"

"Is he still here?"

"No Jia. He left last week."

Her heart sank. Her eyes stung. She felt Nathan's hand rubbing her back.

"So that's it? He didn't even talk to me before leaving."

"Are you going to blame him now? I warned you didn't I?"

"This is different Nathan. I was ok with not having a relationship with him as long as we spent time together. I thought that would be good for both of us."

"You thought? Will you listen to yourself? Jia, he can't wait for you forever."

She had it all planned. She was ok with not having a relationship with him, so long as she continued working with him, seeing him from time to time. But she didn't count on this. She never thought he'd get impatient or tired of their arrangement. They were happy together. She didn't imagine she would lose him so easily.

---

SEOUL, 2018

Jeon

It's been three weeks since he left New York, three weeks of wondering whether this was a good move for him. Being back home after eight years felt good. His parents were so happy to see him, and JG gave him a really solid contract that would secure him for a whole year. If things worked out he'd get to stay longer, maybe even for good.

He kept thinking about Jia and how he left without getting to talk to her. He tried to set an appointment, but Nina said her schedule was packed. Looking back, he admitted if he tried hard enough, he could've talked to her easily, he just chose not to.

He blocked her number to avoid calling her. This was a decision he had to live with, no turning back. Maybe if he was physically distant from her, he'd stop hoping. Maybe if he didn't see her, his feelings for her would wane.

But he was damn miserable now and had to live with his decision.