~Chapter Seventeen~

Shopping was a blur. I mean, as a girl, I like shopping. But still, it isn’t really my thing, plus all I could think about was that kiss and the audition. It kept switching, as I was sitting there in the dressing room chair, waiting for Catherine and Mayte, my mind would focus on the audition and what song I would sing, but then it would switch to replaying the action of her lips connecting with his. Then Catherine would come out in a dress that accentuated her beautiful Irish features, and a pang of jealousy would run through me. They’ve known each other since they were kids, she was beautiful, and she was smart. With her around, he obviously wouldn’t need me. Once, when she came out and twirled in front of the three mirrors in the dressing room, and she was wearing this beautiful emerald green dress that made her red Irish hair shine and her eyes gleam, I got so mad I wanted to punch something. It surprised me because I’ve never been than angry before in my entire life. I quickly thought of song lyrics and made myself calm down, scared with my own actions. She smiled at her reflection, and asked my opinion on how she looked, and I told her the truth.

“Gorgeous.”  Simply, yet effective, for she smiled at me through the mirror then went back and changed into her clothes. Eventually, she bought what she was wearing, Mayte bought a couple of things that looked adorable on her, me? I bought a necklace. On the way back to the house, a song, which I hate yet know all the words to, came on the radio.

I threw a wish in the well, don’t ask me I’ll never tell. I look to you as it fell but now you’re in my way, I trade my soul for a wish, pennies and dimes for a kiss. I wasn’t looking for this, but now you’re in my way. You’re stare was holding, ripped jeans skin was showing, hot night wind was blowing, where’d you think you’re going baby?” The song sings, and I can’t hold in the chorus, so I belt out the chorus with Carly Rae Jepson.

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but here’s my number, so call me maybe? It’s hard to look right at you baby, but here’s my number, so call me maybe?”  I sing out from the back row, and Mayte turns to look at me from the front.

“You actually know the words?” Mayte asks, and I nod. “That’s good, because I do too.” She says, smile spreading across her face and we sing the next verse together. Catherine seems to get rigid, almost as if she’s angry. Once we pull into the driveway, she storms out of the car, and Mayte and I exchange a glance before hurrying out behind her. Catherine flings open the door and throws down the dress she bought onto a chair in the living room before walking over to Niall and crashing her lips down to his. I just stand there, flabbergasted. Out of shock, I can’t look away, but I don’t think anyone else can either. Finally, Mayte nudges me, and I look at her, and she has a questioning look on her face. I give her this I-have-no-fucking-clue look. We awkwardly turn from the living room and start to walk up the stairs, thank God, because I don’t think I could take watching Niall enjoying making out with Catherine. I lead her to my room and put my necklace on the dresser.

“What do I do with this?” Mayte asks, indicating to her shopping bag.

“Put it anywhere.” I say and plop down on my bed, and indicate for her to do the same, which she does.

“Well,” Mayte starts, “what in the world just happened?” She asks me.

“Dude, if I knew, I’d tell you.” I said, still aghast.

“It was weird because she got mad before she did that. It was so weird, I’ve never seen her act like that!” Mayte says.

“Maybe she hates Call Me Maybe.” I say with a slight smile.

“That’s the weirder thing! She loves that song!” Mayte exclaims, and I'm floored.

“What the hell is her problem then?” I ask, more as a rhetorical question than anything else.