five

The sound of the bell snapped you out of the conversation with your friends, and you rose with a pout on your face to throw away your food. You brought out your timetable and took a quick glance at it.

Right after lunch, the words "PHYSICS- Mr. Hewley" were written. You sighed at the complicated class you'd have next.

"Hey, [Name], whatcha got?"

You whizzed around to see a smiling redhead beside you. Raising your paper towards her, Kairi pouted.

"Nope, not me. Plus, it's pretty far away. Sorry," she told you. You shrugged your shoulders at your friend.

"Whatever, no use complaining. Which way?" you asked.

Her fingers extended back towards the main building. "Just go all the way around, and take the steps up. It's a few doors after the staircase," she instructed.

You nodded. "Thanks, Kairi! I'll get going."

At her final wave goodbye, you set off to follow her directions. You rounded every corner until you reached a dead end with only a staircase, and after climbing it and moving down the hallway a few steps, you finally found the classroom.

You stepped in, and stood dejected as you saw that the only available seats left were four bunched together in the front. Taking the rightmost seat, you sat down.

The bell rung right after you sat, and you took the time to glance around you. There was no one you recognized. In front of the classroom was the teacher's desk, with said teacher sitting down behind it.

He looked young, and handsome too. He didn't seem to be far off in age from Genesis, and he wore a professional outfit. Just as he stood up to introduce himself to the class, the door swung open with a crash.

Everyone's mouths shut and heads snapped over towards the door. Standing in the doorway were two boys you knew, one looking more sheepish than the other.

"Hey, Angeal!" the blackhead yelled as greeting, one too friendly sounding for a teacher.

Mr. Hewley's face contorted into one of annoyance. He sighed. "You're late, Zack. You too, Cloud. And it's Mr. Hewley to you."

Zack merely grinned at his frustration and grabbed the blonde next to him around the shoulders. "Oops, sorry. Forgot you were my teacher for a second there."

Both of their eyes scanned the room like yours did before Cloud's crystal blue eyes fell on yours. You smiled softly at him, one that he returned. He nudged the blackhead beside him, making Zack's face fall upon yours.

"What a nice surprise, you're here too, [Name]," Zack announced shamelessly, as if the rest of the room wasn't looking at him.

"Zack," Angeal called with warning.

"Yes?" he replied, either ignorant to or completely ignoring his teacher's threatening tone. It was probably the latter.

"Dude, come on," Cloud muttered. He grabbed Zack's arm and guided him over to your side, taking the seat beside you as Zack took the one beside him.

Your face was flushed as you felt everyone's eyes on you and the two boys who had gravitated towards you. In an attempt to brush them off, you looked over to Mr. Hewley, only to see that he had already been looking at you.

He cleared his throat. "Since it's the first day, I'll let you two off," Mr. Hewley said, not looking at Zack and Cloud as he shuffled to find his attendance sheet.

Zack grinned from next to Cloud as you both shot him looks to keep quiet. He totally ignored them. "Aw, come on, we know it's 'cuz you have a soft spot for us," he cooed, winding his arms behind his head casually.

You looked over towards Mr. Hewley in attempt to both see his reaction and not be distracted by Zack's glorious arms. He found the attendance sheet and gripped a pen in his hand.

He called out the first name.

>>FAST FORWARD>>

While Mr. Hewley had been a stern teacher, he was nothing short of a good one. He took his time and went over the introductory chapter slowly so you could all understand, last word falling out of his mouth just seconds before the bell rung.

Every time you turned your head over, you saw Zack messing with Cloud and Cloud trying to ignore him, sometimes slipping and bothering him back. When you glanced over, it was no exception.

You finished gathering your stuff long before the two goofballs did, and once you did you took out your schedule.

What you found made your eyes widen. Your next class would be hand to hand combat with Ms. Lockhart.

"What's that face for, [Name]?" You looked upwards to see Cloud's teasing smile.

"Um, hand to hand combat. I wasn't aware that was a thing," you honestly replied. Cloud's lips turned upwards more.

Zack smiled from beside his best friend. "Sweet, you get to kick ass. It's on this floor, other side."

You smiled in thanks at him. "Thanks, I'll get going."

"You want us to walk you there?" Zack called out as you started to leave. You turned around just in time to see Cloud elbow him in the stomach.

This class was much easier to find than the others, and once you walked inside you saw how distinctive it was.

There were no desks or chairs or tables in the center of the room. Rather, there were two rows of about thirty chairs in the back of the room, and a small station for the teacher in the front corner. Most of the classroom was just empty space.

"Yo, [Name]!"

You whipped your head around to find the long-haired redhead you had seen a couple periods earlier with two others: Riku and a girl that was unfamiliar to you. You smiled and headed over to them.

"Hey, Reno," you greeted. He grinned at you and wrapped his arm around your shoulders.

"Sup, [Name]! Can't believe I have a first row seat to see you kick some ass," he replied. Your face flushed at his close proximity.

Is this hand to hand combat or kick ass class? You huffed out air.

Riku rolled his eyes. "Let her go, Reno," he ordered. Reno's grin merely widened as he released you.

"Alright, alright. Hey, have you met-" he started, but was interrupted.

"Nope, she hasn't!" Now your attention turned to the short brunette opposite you. "Pleased to meet you, I'm the great ninja Yuffie!"

You smiled at the hyperactive girl. Her and Sora must get along just dandy.

"[Name]," you curtly replied. Just as your name slipped past your lips, the bell for class to begin ran and you followed the students as they all sat down in their seats.

The classroom door opened and in walked in a young woman with long, thick brown hair and deep brown eyes. She quickly shuffled over to her side of the classroom and slicked back a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Hey, sorry I'm late, kiddos," she apologized. She looked up and you were surprised by her intense beauty.

Ms. Lockhart, as you knew by your schedule, took out the attendance sheet and silently scanned the classroom before ticking every name. Finally, she set everything down and reached into her bag to take out a set of sleek black gloves. She slipped them on and moved to the front center of the classroom.

"Alright, come on up." Everyone obeyed and walked to the middle of the room, you sticking beside your three friends. "Now, as you know my name is Ms. Lockhart and I'm gonna be teaching you hand to hand combat. Follow everything I say."