nine

You turned the key to your cousin's apartment, feeling it click before shoving the door and taking the key out. She sat on the couch with a book in her hand.

"Someone's a little later than they said they would be," Rinoa accused.

"Yeah, about that," you started sheepishly. "Sorry."

Rinoa put her book down before giving you a soft smile. "It's okay, [Name]. Just call me next time so I don't worry."

You nodded at her gratefully before closing the door behind you and heading off towards the room Rinoa had designated for you. You put your bag down and streched.

She wasn't actually your biological cousin. Your parents had only not been able to make the move with you, but they were friends with Rinoa's father for a time. She was away in Destiny Islands for college and invited you to stay with her. You eagerly agreed.

Since then, you'd only gotten closer with the pretty brunette. You smiled to yourself as you began to unpack your purse before feeling something furry on your legs.

You looked down to see a husky dog at your feet. "Hey, Angelo!"

The dog barked at you as you ran your fingers through her dark scalp, licking your hand as you dragged it down. Rinoa came in and stopped at the doorway.

"Come on, partner," she called out to the dog. Angelo barked again before scampering out of the room, leaving behind a trail of her fur.

Rinoa entered your room as you took out your homeworks, sitting down on the bed. You took out the old yearbook and plopped it beside her absentmindedly.

"Ooh, a yearbook? They already have one on the first day?" she asked.

"No, it's a leftover from last year," you answered. She nodded at you and opened it up, skimming through its pages.

She stopped at a certain page, and you looked up to see what her attention was at. It was the page of juniors with a last name starting with "L."

Her finger landed on Squall's picture. "This guy's cute," she told you with a smile.

You laughed softly at her words. "I just met him today."

"What's he like?" she questioned. You could practically see the hearts in her eyes.

"Younger than you," you replied. Rinoa rolled her eyes but had a smile on her face at your answer. You smirked proudly.

"Who else did you make friends with?" the college student asked.

You walked over to the side of the bed she was on and turned the book all the way to the beginning of the junior section, pointing out pictures of who your friends were. She made a comment on each one.

After you went over everyone you'd made friends with that day, you tried to gently kick Rinoa out so you could focus on finishing your homework.

She left after the third time you asked, going back to the living room to keep reading her book and play with Angelo. You started your work, and did most of it in a short amount of time.

Xigbar had given you the most homework by far, but you were almost finished with the last problem when you felt the bed vibrate. You looked over at your phone to see you were getting a call.

You flipped it over to see a collection of digits. It must've been a random caller.

After contemplating whether or not to pick it up, you eventually brought it up to your ear and pressed a button on it.

"Hello?"

"Why'd it take you so long to answer?" It was Yuffie's voice on the other end.

You rolled your eyes at the girl, knowing that she couldn't see you. "Because I'm doing math homework. Xigbar is a crazy asshole."

"Oh yeah, I heard. Do you know Sora? He was talking to me about that class."

"Yeah, I have it with him and Riku," you replied.

You heard a gasp on the other end. "Seriously? You know so many of my friends. List everyone you met today!"

And so you ended up doing exactly the same thing you'd done with Rinoa not long ago. After every name, Yuffie would give you confirmation that she knew the person you were talking about. Once you finished, she asked you a question.

"So, find anyone you're interested in?" Yuffie asked.

You were thankful she wasn't in front of you, because you felt your heartbeat accelerate and your cheeks flush. It had only been the first day of school, but you had an answer to her question.

"Maybe," you answered coyly.

"Who is it? I promise I can keep a secret," Yuffie begged. Somehow you doubted her words.

Nevertheless, you answered her question. After saying his name, you quickly said, "But, I only think he's cute. He's a good looking guy. I don't like him, it's only the first day."

Yuffie laughed at you on the other end. "I know, I know. My lips are sealed. Oh, and by the way, you have good taste. Mega hottie right there."

You continued to talk with her for a short while longer until you heard a knock at the door. You both said your goodbyes and you hung up.

"Yeah?" you called out.

Rinoa opened the door slightly and poked her head in. "I'm gonna go to classes. Dinner's ready for you to microwave."

"Thanks, Rinoa," you told her. "Have fun, college girl."

The fourth year wiped away an imaginary tear before pulling away from the door and shutting it again. You heard the sounds of the door closing and a dog yapping as she left.

You finished up the rest of your calculus work before leaving the room and going to the kitchen. Sure enough, Rinoa had left out a plate for you.

Doing what she told you, you popped the plate in the microwave and set out the utensils you'd need on the table. On the way back, you scratched Angelo's head and filled a bowl with food for her.

The microwave beeped, and you took out your food and set it down onto the table. You ate everything, then cleaned the plate in the sink and put it up to dry.

After cleaning up the table and going back to your room to clean everything up there, you went to the bathroom to do your nightly ritual of flossing and brushing your teeth, washing your face, and all the other things you did every night.

It wasn't long until you finished and turned off all the lights to go lay in bed. You leaned over to go charge your phone when you saw you had gotten a text.

there's gonna be an assembly tomorrow since it's the second day and all the school people want to talk about the rest of the year. me and your boy will see you there !! xoxo

You rolled your eyes at Yuffie. She would be a fun friend to deal with.

The last thought in your head before you fell asleep was of all the friends you'd met that day, and the one who you wanted to be more than friends with.