Chapter 14

Tris P.O.V.

"So, tell me the truth. How did things go last night?" Christina asks. I just shrug and squeeze the coffee cup in my hand. I'm sitting on the couch in my living room Indian style in a tee shirt and powder blue pajama pants. Christina texted me this morning and asked if she could come over. I, of course, agreed and she was over in minutes. I had told her yesterday before Tobias came over what the plans were.

"It went really good. Lucas seemed to be kind of excited about it but other than that he was pretty much emotionless. About ten minutes later we had moved in on our conversation and began talking about whatever came up next in conversation. After dinner, Lucas begged us to play a game with him so we played a round of Candy Land. When it was over, Lucas asked to spend the night with Tobias who apparently is renting an apartment near his old one," I say. She nods and takes a sip of her hot chocolate.

"Well, it sounds like things went pretty good, almost like a really family," she comments. I stare at the hot chocolate in the mug. There are six little marshmallows floating around in the dark liquid. I hear Christina swear under her breath. "Sorry, that kind of came out wrong," she says. I look up and give her a forgiving smile.

"Christina, it's fine. Last night was actually kind of fun after Lucas found out. I almost forgot about everything that happened back when I was pregnant," I confess. She smiles. The confession seems to lift something off my chest. It might be the fact that I didn't realize this was true until I actually said it out loud. It might be because telling Lucas was the right to do. Whatever the weight was, it is gone now and it feels much better.

"Tris, I know the people who are supposed to be here to tell you this aren't so I'm going to tell you it. I'm proud of you. You took a risk by doing what you did yesterday and it has helped you. So, I'm proud of you," she says. I smile at her and take a sip of my hot chocolate. The warm beverage travels down my throat leaving a burning sensation in my mouth.

"I guess while I'm confessing things I should share what happened yesterday before our we all came over to Zeke's house," I say. She arches an eyebrow up in a questioning way. "I was at Walmart yesterday at like nine in the morning, which is strange for me, and ran into my mother. She got to meet Lucas and invited us to come by sometime," I explain quickly. Christina gasps and covers her mouth.

"Tris! That's amazing! I'm so glad. I know it's been hard for you to not have any contact with your parents," she says. I nod and look out the window. The wind is blowing through the trees in the backyard. The swings on the small play set are moving back and forth like the spirits of dead children are playing on them.

"Yeah. I think thins might finally be turning around," I say.

§§§

Tobias P.O.V.

"She actually let him come home with you and spend the night?" Zeke asks. I nod as I flop down on the couch in the living room of my apartment. Tris came by to get Lucas an hour ago. Zeke texted me about five minutes later asking if it would be okay if he came over. I think he said something about Uriah's book club and karaoke night.

"Yeah. We told him last night and things just kind of played out the way it should. After we finished eating, we played a game with Lucas and then he asked to come home with me. Tris seemed kind of unsure about it but still let him come. It was nice having him here with me," I say. He nods and takes a sip from his coca-cola bottle.

"I did not see that happening so quick. What was his reaction?" he asks. Lucas really didn't have a reaction at all. He just kind of smiled and moving on in the conversation.

"There was really no reaction. He seemed kind of happy about it but then he just kind of moved on in the conversation so Tris and I did the same. He never really said anything else about it until he left a little while ago," I say. Zeke arches his eyebrow up in a questioning way. The memory brings a smile to my lips. "He came up to me to give me a hug. When he did, though, he whispered something in my ear," I say, not really sure if I should continue or not.

"What did he say?" Zeke asks. I smile to myself and tears almost flood my eyes which seems like a totally girly thing to do in this situation.

"He came over and whispered in my ear 'I'm glad it was you.' I don't know why but it felt so special. I just wished I could have paused that instant in time and held on to it for forever," I confess. Zeke flashes a smile at me.

"That's really great, man," he says.

This isn't quite 1,000 words. I'm really sorry about that. I know I promised two chapters yesterday but I feel like crap and I'm really tired because I've had a hard time sleeping lately and I'm getting a cold so editing is not that great but I did read over it... Please tell me what you think! Votes and comments are greatly appreciated *cough* hint hint *cough*

Disclaimer: Veronica Roth owns Divergent, not me.