³⁴the act of avoidance

Ayla's head was pounding so intensely that it felt like the world around her was shaking.

She awoke in her bed, sheets flown askew because she had gotten too hot the night before and one of her socks was missing on her foot. She wondered where it was.

Tegan appeared through the bathroom door, holding her hair tightly in the back as to put it in a ponytail. "Morning, Ayla-!"

"Oiiiiii, Tegan, please-" moaned Ayla, clutching her skull in her hands.

"Wha-"

"You really bleeding loud right now. Please," Ayla groaned back. She paused and thought about what she said. "Sorry, that was rude. I'm sorry. My head just really hurts."

Tegan giggled, "I can tell. And don't worry about it. You had it rough last night."

"I did?"

"Uh, yeah? You went and got yourself pissed. Fell into a table. Got cake all over you. Bet there were more embarrassing things that happened, too."

Ayla stared in horror, eyes wide as golf balls. "Pardon?! - ouch."

Tegan giggled again, now beginning to tie her tie, "Yeah, Ayla. Don't you remember? Or were you too bladdered to make any sense of it?"

Ayla frowned, "Suppose I was too bladdered..."

"Oh merlin, Ayla. You worry me. I don't even know why you did it, honestly. It just doesn't seem like you to be the type to get all drunk and all."

And she was right. Ayla wasn't the type to get drunk. But then Ayla remembered her mothers letter...

Found the address of the Longbottom's during it too!

Ayla stood from her bed, attempting to not to groan from the aching in her bones, from the pounding, raging pain in her head, and slumped over across the room to her desk where she had left the letter from her mother. She threw it into the trash without extra thought.

"Did I do anything else stupid?" asked Ayla.

"Not that I know of. You should probably ask someone else though, I wasn't around you much of the night."

Ayla nodded. She supposed she could ask Remus later in potions. She had really hoped she didn't do something too reckless.

"Oi, you should probably get dressed. Don't want to miss breakfast," Tegan tutted.

Ayla nodded once again and set off to the shower, hoping to wash away the horrible smell of firewhiskey that clung to her and the horrifying thought's of what may come to be for the Longbottom's.

-----

Ayla truly was never drinking ever again.

Grace cackled next to her at breakfast, wheezing out words between giggles. "Oh, you should have seen yourself! You went fucking ballistic!"

Ayla pushed her arm and frowned, "Shut up! It couldn't have been that bad. And bloody hell, Grace, you're screaming into my bloody ear."

"Oh, you don't get it, it was horrible. You should ask Remus or something. You were clinging to the poor boy all night."

"What do you mean?" Panic rose in Ayla's throat; she hoped she hadn't done something...

"You hung around him all night long. You two went off somewhere after you got cake all over you. I wanted to help but... y'know, I was a bit pissed myself so I'm not sure if I would have been much help," Grace explained.