¹¹hospital wing

As Peter lay in one of the Hospital Wing's bed, his face screwed up in pain and whipping furiously at tears that kept trickling down his cheeks, Sirius paced back and forth, thrumming his hands against his legs anxiously.

"Calm down, Sirius, Pete's okay. He just has a broken leg, not brain damage," Remus called to him, though, to Ayla, he didn't seem to believe that himself. The poor lanky boy was gnawing at his fingernails and picking at his scars.

James gave a soft sighed, reaching to pull Remus's hand away from his face. "How many times do I have to say this, Moony; stop biting your bloody nails, its not healthy. Anyway, Moony's right, Pads, he's going to be fine." James assured as he ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling it a bit, then cracked his knuckles against his thighs. He leaned back in his chair, trying to calm his nerves. Ayla could tell that he felt like he was responsible for Peter falling. She wished she could tell James it wasn't his fault but she thought it wasn't smart because of the awkward relationship they had at the moment. Ayla still felt embarrassed when being near him but since the truth about her crush had gotten out, she hadn't felt that bubbly, butterfly feeling when she was around James and she didn't have the slightest idea why. Maybe she didn't care anymore, maybe she had felt so embarrassed that her feelings for him completely disappeared. All Ayla knew was that she wasn't daydreaming about holding the boys hand like she used to for a solid two years and it was a strange sensation.

To Ayla's right, Grace slumped in her seat, lazily looking around. "Why was he even standing on a broom? You're supposed to sit on it. I thought Potter would know that by now sayin-"

"Vale, can you ever shut up? Can't you ever stop trying to pick fights?" Sirius spat, clenching his fists as he folded his arms. The raven haired boy huffed, obviously agitated, and he rolled his eyes.

"I asked to go flying," Peter sniffled, "James had stood up on his broom for a bit so I wanted to try too."

"Whatever, I wasn't asking you," Grace responded.

Peter went silent and looked down at his hands, face beet red. Ayla felt bad for him, today must have been a lousy birthday.

"Peter, I'm really sorry about all this, it must really suck. I hope that you've had a good birthday other than that whole... breaking your leg part," Ayla told him.

"It's okay, I got to get tons of snacks from the elves and James, Sirius, and Remus got me the best presents! James got me thi-"

"Now, now, I'm going to need the lot of you out of here. I need to mend this boys leg-" Madam Pomfrey began, walking over holding a handful of various potions.

"Please, Pomfrey, can't we just-" James interrupted.

"I know you boys know my rules far too well. Now get going, I need my silence," the older woman responded as she waved her hands at the group, shooing them out.

The pack shuffled out of the room, Sirius cursing nasty things about the old lady under his breath which made Remus give him a warning looking. James was frowning and staring longingly at the hospital wings doors.

Remus noticed this. "It's okay, Prongs. We'll celebrate tomorrow, I'm sure Worms wont mind," Remus insisted, laying his hand on James' shoulder.

"I know, it's just annoying. It feels like it's all my fault," James groaned and waved his arms dramatically. "I feel so bad for Wormtail. This is by far the worst birthday celebration we've ever done."

"It's not your fault," Ayla told him, hoping he did laugh at her for saying that to him.

Last year James definitely would have and Ayla knew it but, to her surprise, James looked to her and frowned. "Yeah, I guess. It just... it just feels like it, y'know."

"Yeah."

The batch of teenagers stood there for a few minutes, wondering if they should leave or stay. After a while, Sirius slumped onto the floor, still looking rather grumpy, then James following suit, taking a seat beside his friend. Remus remained standing, hands shoved into his pockets and posture somehow growing worse.

Grace bumped her arm lightly against Ayla's, getting the blondes attention. "We probably should go grab our Quidditch gear from the pitch," she said.

"Yeah, that's smart," Ayla responded.

"Oh yeah!" Sirius yelped. "Hey... Remmy-kins..." Sirius began, giving a playful grin, "would you-"

Remus rolled his eyes but smirked, "Don't even ask. I'll grab your brooms."

The two boys on the floor grinned, "Thanks, mate!" James called.

"Of course," Remus replied still smirking. "Mind if I tag along?"

"Not at all," Ayla told him, though she could sense Grace glaring at the boy.

"Lovely," he answered back.

The trio set off for the Quidditch pitch. It was much too quiet for Ayla's taste, she felt as if she could her the others footsteps too clearly. She'd always hated silence.

"So..." Ayla started, "how long have you been friends with Sirius, James, and Peter?" Why did she ask that? That probably was the dumbest question she could have asked.

"Oh," Remus raised his eyebrows. "well... we honestly were friends since the first day at Hogwarts," he looked up in thought, a finger on his lips, "but we got close in second year."

"That's cool," Ayla said. She didn't know any other way she could have responded.

"How about you guys?" The scarred boy asked, tilted his head towards the two girls.

Ayla looked to Grace, a smile on her face. "You answer, I want to see what you say," she chuckled.

Grace rolled her eyes but still smiled. "Fine. I say that we've been friends since third year."

"Dang, you got it right. Didn't expect that," Ayla said jokingly, laughing. She looked to Remus to answer his question more clearly. "We've talked to each other since first year, as well but we became like... best friends in third year when she had set a jinx on Peeves that made his head turn into a tentacle."

"Oh, how much I love Tentaclifors," Grace joked, a smug grin spreading across her face, the fond memory resurfacing.

"That was you?!" Remus looked elated, "I remember seeing Peeves flying around slamming into things! Me and the boys nearly went crazy trying to figure out who did it!"

Grace stared at him, puzzled. "Really?"

"Of course. It was a wicked jinx you did, we never could find out what the name of it was," Remus grinned.

Grace gave a genuine smile. Ayla could tell the dark haired girl felt a swell of pride because of what Remus had just told her. "Er... thanks."

"It's nothing but the truth," Remus admitted.

This wasn't too bad, Ayla thought, finally reaching the pitch, Remus and Grace at her side.