Notes

I was getting my bag ready for defence against the dark arts when I felt a familiar presence. Ginny was stood in the doorway, tapping her foot impatiently.

"What's up Ginny?"
"Can we talk?"
"About?"
"Fred."
"Er -"
"He likes you, Y/N, it's pretty obvious."
"He barely knows me!"
"He's in your lesson."
"One lesson, Ginny, one."
"He says you've been ignoring him."
"Well I haven't, k? My grades in DADA are slipping so I've been focusing more on the work as to not fail the whole class."
"So it's not because he asked Angelina to the ball?"
"He asked who?!"
"I thought you knew."
"If I'd known he was dating my mortal enemy and bully then I wouldn't have ever even glanced in his direction!" I was fuming. If this idiot liked me so mucin then why would he do that? "Look, Ginny, I'm gonna be late, but thank you for telling me." She nodded and left, with me close on her heel.

~In defence against the dark arts~
So, as it turns out, moody wasn't going to be in defence due to personal reasons. So, we had a free period to do whatever the hell we wanted. I wanted to go back to the common room and sleep, like every normal teenage girl, but Fred had other plans. He caught up to me as I walked in the halls and I tried my best to ignore him.

"What's up with you lately?" I stayed silent. "I get the feeling you're ignoring me."
"No shit Sherlock."
"It speaks!"
"Shut up Fred."
"What's up with you?"
"Nothing."
"So, why have you been ignoring me?"
"I haven't."
"You have."
"No I haven't, I just never see you around."
"I'm in lesson."
"Lesson. Not lessonsss. I see you for an hour everyday and everyday I choose not to speak to you."
"But, everyday you usually say good morning to me and lately you haven't."
"Why does it bother you so much that you don't get a good morning from me? I'm sure you get plenty of good mornings from other girls."
"Because... oh forget it." He sighed. "I didn't give you this in class today, before you left." He handed me a small piece of parchment.

'How can one person make such a god-awful uniform look so beautiful?'

I smirked to myself, folding it back up and putting it in my pocket. I liked that he did that for me, it made me feel really good about myself. I decided to catch up with him in the common room to talk more about it. Maybe I was too harsh... I muttered the password and the portrait door swung open. Fred was just sitting... reading apparently. I sat beside him, smirking still.

"Are you actually reading?" He shrugged. "Do you even know how to read?"
"I do, actually, yes."
"Really? I'm surprised."
"Oh sod off."
"So you think I suit the uniform?"
"I do, yeah."
"What did you wanna talk about earlier? When I was being a bitch."
"Ah, so you admit you were being bitchy."
"I do, now don't avoid the question."
"I was wondering if you were going to the ball."
"I don't this so. Nobody's asked me, so I reckon I'll just leave it."
"Well I don't have a date either."
"I thought you were going with Johnson."
"What? And betray you? Never!" He nudged me with his shoulder, which made me laugh.
"I don't understand. Ginny came into my room this morning and said you as-"
"I asked her for George. He didn't have the guts to, so I pretended like I was him."
"She doesn't know the difference between the two of you?" He shook his head. "Seriously?" He nodded. "I'm sorry. I know how much you hate that you have to live in each other's shadows."
"You're like the only person who cares." I smiled.
"Are you going to the ball?"
"Yeah. George says if I don't get a date he'll set me up with someone."
"That's sad. You'd think he'd leave you be considering you're the reason he's got one."
"That's what I said!"
"Hey, Fred?"
"Yes Y/N?"
"Thank you."
"You're... welcome?"
"I mean it. Before you started giving me this little notes, I was so insecure about myself, but you made me feel so good about myself. Thank you, Fred."
"You're welcome, Y/N."
"How can I repay you?"
"Be my date to the ball?" I nodded and smiled genuinely.

"It's a date."