Part Four

Rei's body responded automatically after he spoke. Her stance immediately solid and she glared hostile at him. If he intended to kill her, she wouldn't go down without a fight.

"Oh my, oh my. No need to be so hostile. As I said, you already disposed of my target. I have no intentions of harm." He spoke slowly, his tone was actually quite composed.

"Then what are your intentions. What do you want?"

He did something she would never have seen coming. He laughed. Not a fake, ironic type of laugh, but a genuine snigger. "Why would I want something? I am just a bored, old man." With those words, he crossed his legs and sat down on the floor. "Suit yourself". Rei overthought the situation she was in.

He may have said he means no harm, but she was sure she couldn't trust a man she'd just met and introduced himself as the best assassin currently active. However, on the other hand, she had nothing to lose. If he grew bored of her, since he was -as he claimed so himself- a bored, old man, he could kill her in a second. So she copied his actions and sat down in front of him and waited for him to start talking.

"You seem quite strong." It wasn't a question he asked, it was a statement. Rei remained silent, staring into Zeno Zoldycks grey eyes. He continued.

"You have fast reflexes, the way you pinned him to the grond showed that you are skilled in at least two martial arts. You are fast, otherwise you wouldn't have had the time to take suck a solid defence stance."

She definitely hadn't expected him to compliment her.

"But all of that doesn't change that you are, in fact, weak. You have no muscle power, which is a necessity in combat. You have remarkable control of your body at all times so you rely on speed only, and that is a grave mistake."

His words probably weren't meant to break her down, but Rei felt like she had been stabbed in her heart with thousand little needles. She had trained years to be where she was now. He did have a point, deep down she knew that. But up till now, she had been able to hold her own, so for her, it wasn't a problem yet.

"I would have to go down somehow."

Zeno's lips folded almost unnoticeable into a smile, but his moustache gave it away. This was better than he thought. Rei frowned. "Let me be your teacher."

Unconsciously, she raised an eyebrow. "Teacher? As in, I will be your student? Since when does the Zoldyck family have non-related students? How do-"

Before Rei could utter more questions, Zeno interrupted her. "If Zeno Zoldyck asked you to become his student, what would you say?"

There was a small moment of silence before she answered his question in all honesty.

"I gladly accept."

The skilled assassins eyes glinstened, and the last thing Rei remembered before passing out was a sharp pain in her neck.

⇄ ✧ ⇆

When she woke up, she found herself on a spacious bed in a strange room. The walls were a dark blue, the furniture was black and there was a large window with black curtains. On the opposite side of the bed was a black, wooden closet. Behind the foot of the bed was an empty desk with a single chair. On the left was a black door that probably led to where the bathroom was.

Where am I?

With an attempt to get out of bed, she tried to sit straight up, but after a sharp pain in her head she passed out again.

⇄ ✧ ⇆

Silva's harsh voice echoed through the room. To say he wasn't happy, was a grave understatement. His eyebrows were furrowed in an angry face and his mouth was formed into a straight line.

"She has potential and it is going to waist." Zeno didn't look like he was intimidated by Silvas pissed off behaviour. He was his son after all, even though he was now head of the family.

"You brought an outsider into our house because she has potential? If we brought in every single child who's shown that, we could start a damn school!"

A long silence came after his words. Zeno didn't say anything, but he knew Silva wanted to know. He wanted to know why this child was different from the others, but he was stubborn and irritated by Zeno's decision to bring her with him without asking for permission.

Silva sighted. "How much?" His father smiled. He knew he'd won. Rei could stay as his pupil. "Nearly matching Killua." Silva remained silent. Zeno didn't interrupt his thinking, so he stayed quiet as well.

"Good. But if you really want to continue this, there will be rules that must be followed."

⇄ ✧ ⇆