Tango: Mei

Okay so this based on 'Tango: Maureen' from Rent. It's one of my favourite musicals and this song gave me a ton of ideas. I am gonna change up and leave out some parts so it makes more sense.

Himeko is Joanne, Yuzu is Mark.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Yuzu sighed as she pushed open the doors to the student council office. Mei had asked her to help with work while she was taking care of things with their grandfather. She can still never say 'no' to her sister.

Around 3 months ago Mei broke up with her without an explanation, a month later Mei began dating Himeko. Yuzu still wasn't sure if it was because she actually has feelings for her or if Mei was just fed up of Himeko's persistence.

"Aihara Yuzu!" The short vice president stomped her foot, marching towards the blonde. "What are you doing here?" Himeko barked.

"Mei sent me to help, so calm down." Yuzu walked over to the large table in the middle of the room and tossed her bag onto a chair, pulling out a folder that Mei had given her.

Himeko stared at the taller girl, watching as she began working. She didn't like this one bit.

"This is weird." Himeko crossed her arms as she spoke.

"It's weird." Yuzu agreed, this was not how she wanted to spend her afternoon.

"Very weird."

"Fuckin' weird."

Yuzu stood up from the chair she had made herself comfortable in and leaned against the table, her arms folded across her chest as she watch Himeko pace back and forth.

"I'm so mad and I don't know what to do!" Himeko pulled at her hair, her face twisted into an expression of pure annoyance.

"Feel like going insane? Got a fire in your brain and you're thinking of drinking gasoline?" Yuzu smirked.

"As a matter of fact...." Himeko rolled her eyes, side eying her.

"Honey, I know this act! And it's called the Tango: Mei!" Yuzu pushed off the desk, slowly approaching the small girl.

Himeko took a few steps back, slightly intimidated by Yuzu's slight height advantage.

"The Tango: Mei! It's a dark, dizzy merry go round. As she keeps you dangling..." Yuzu continued, pretending to dangle something in front of Himeko's face.

"You're wrong!" Himeko stomped her foot, a futile act of protest.

"Your heart she is mangling!" Yuzu grabbed at her shirt, squeezing the ring that sat around her neck.

"It's different with me!" Himeko interjected again.

"You toss and you turn cause her cold eyes can burn! Yet, you yearn and you churn and rebound!"

"I think I know what you mean...." Himeko slowly nodded.

"The Tango: Mei" They spoke at the same time, Yuzu nodded along with the smaller girl, raising a curious eyebrow.

"Has she ever pouted her lips and called you....'pookie'?" Yuzu gave a pout, mockery laced her voice.

"Never!" Himeko yelled.

"Have you ever doubted a kiss or two?"

"This is spooky..." Himeko cast her gaze to the floor, her large eyebrows knitted together. Each kiss she shared with her childhood best friend flashed through her mind. "Did you swoon when she walked through the door?"

"Everytime....so be, cautious..." Yuzu sighed, frowning at the stressed look on Himeko's face.

"Did she moon over other girls?" Himeko brought her head up to look at the blonde, an almost pleading look in her soft purple eyes.

"More than moon..." Yuzu grumbled.

"I'm getting nauseous..." Himeko rushed over to a chair, sitting down and burying her face in her hands. Yuzu studied her features, seeing the same pain written on her face that crossed her own more times than she'd care to admit.

"How long have you been in love with her?" Yuzu questioned.

"Since we were kids, she was my first friend. And you?" Himeko lifted her head to look into Yuzu's dazzling emerald eyes.

"The day she moved in, she kissed me out of nowhere." The blonde pulled a face at the memory.

Yuzu didn't think Mei would do this to Himeko.

"She cheated..." Himeko whimpered quietly.

"She cheated." Yuzu gave a understanding nod.

"Mei cheated!"

"Fuckin' cheated!"

"I'm defeated, I should give up right now!" Tears stung at the corners of Himeko's eyes.

"Gotta look on the bright side with all of your might!" Yuzu put a reassuring hand on the girl's shoulder. She didn't want anyone to go through what she did, despite their ongoing rivalry, she thought of Himeko as a friend.

"I'd fall for her still anyhow!" Himeko stood up, brushing the blonde's hand away.

They began to speak at the same time. "When you're dancing her dance, you don't stand a chance! Her grip on romance makes you fall! So you think might as well, dance a tango to hell! At least I'll have tangoed at all!"

"The Tango: Mei!"

"Gotta dance til your diva is through..." Yuzu laughed to herself, pacing back and forth as Himeko had when she first came in. "You pretend to believe her 'cause in the end you can't leave her!"

"But the end it will come, still you have to play dumb!" They were both just yelling at each other at this point, not caring if anyone heard them ranting. "Til you glum and you bum and turn blue!"

"Why do we love when she's mean?" Yuzu groaned as she leaned against the wall, resting her head back against it. Mei had really brought out the masochist in her and it was somewhat refreshing knowing she wasn't alone.

"And she can be so obscene....my Mei...." Himeko mumbled.

"The Tango: Mei..." They both sighed, defeated looks on their faces.

"Y'know..." Yuzu turned to look at Himeko, grinning widely. "I feel great now."

"I feel lousy..." Himeko threw herself back into a chair. "We need to get this work done."

"Right!" Yuzu plopped into a chair beside Himeko, giving her a playful nudge. Himeko nudged her back twice as hard.

They both took a deep breath and began working.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hope y'all enjoyed this! I'm thinking of doing more stories based in songs from musicals, I've got a few ideas so expect something soon!