Chapter 12

The seamstress was a middle aged woman with squinted eyes and a pointed nose. She resembled a hawk, though she said hardly a word. Regina took the silence as her cue to tell her every detail she should incorporate into the dresses.

Rapunzel watched the poor woman take down note after note of measurements while listening to one of her Ladies describe a dress that seemed nearly impossible to make.

Finally, when the seamstress was done, she pulled her aside.

"I'm sorry for that. But I have one more request. Could you hold back on the frills and layers for my dress. A simple design would be amazing."

The seamstress nodded, smiled, and left.

Hera, Monica, and Regina talked about all the things that the duchesses and ladies and dukes and lords were doing. There were at least four affairs and seven secret lovers. It wasn't much of a secret anymore.

Rose and Hannah compared their masks while Rapunzel helped Meg with her french. They were both doing well, and were almost fluent.

It was noisy in their quarters, but they didn't care. No one was around to hear anything, and that made it a bit lonely. They only had each other. That was it.

Dinner was brought to them as the sun set. Their masks were all dark blue with an arrangement of jewels and ribbons to make it look like the night sky.

When the night finally did come, Rapunzel climbed down from her balcony with blankets under her arms. She arrived first, like usual. But moments later, a smiling Jack appeared.

The very first thing they did was embrace, like lovers who hadn't seen each other for years.

"How's it going, Punzie?" he asked, causing her to smile.

"It's going good, Ja." Jack laughed, and they sat down. He had brought a few apples, some bread cook with cheese, and a little tart. "It's our own little feast."

"That it is. Sorry I couldn't smuggle any chocolate covered strawberries."

"Yeah, I'm not sure I can forgive you for that."

"Please Punzie. I'm on my knees, forgive me."

"Oh, alright, but you have to kiss me for your apology to be accepted."

"Gladly." He cupped her chin and leaned forward, gently kissing her. She felt like she was floating, and nothing could bring her down.

As time went by, she found herself laying in Jack's lap. He was leaning against the tree, playing with her hair.

"I don't understand how you could have survived with all that hair," he said.

"It was hard. I would sweep and the dirt would get caught in my hair. Don't even get me started on washing. I'd have to put days aside for that."

"Pass me some bread, please."

"Hungry, aren't you?"

"I'm a man. I'm supposed to eat a lot."

"How does your sister get any food? You must eat everything in the house."

"I do, actually. Drives her mad."

"What about your parents? How do they feel about it?"

Jack was silent, and Rapunzel looked up at him. His happy look had disappeared, replaced with something she had never seen on his face. Sadness.

"My parents died a few years back. I work to take care of Jewlia. Feed her, clothe her, anything she needs. I sometimes get books from the library so I can teach her what I know. My mom taught me basic math, which helps for my job, and reading. Though she will only read fairytales."

Rapunzel smiled. She reached up and placed her hand on his cheek. He held her hand there, eyes closed.

They sat in a comfortable silence, just enjoying the other's presence.

Eventually, they had to part ways. Rapunzel pulled out a letter, a carefully written address on the front.

"There's a girl named Mari who should live at this address. Could you get it to her?"

"I'll do my best, Your Highness." He bowed low, making her smile. Once he had straightened, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him, kissed him for a long time.

They left that moment, going back to their lives of crazy royals and silly sisters.