Chapter 11

"It's a masquerade ball!" squealed Regina. "They are the best balls. You can dress up however you like, as long as you have a mask."

Rose, Meg, and Hannah were excited, chittering away about what they could wear. Even Rapunzel was intrigued. A masquerade ball? It sounded interesting.

For that one moment, all of them were equal. They all felt the same emotion, excitement, and couldn't wait to start getting ready.

"How are the Queen's Ladies dressing?" Hannah asked. "We don't want to pick a style and then end up looking silly."

"My mother said that the Queen is dressing as a swan and the ladies will be other types of birds," Regina informed. "My mother will be a raven."

"I heard that some of the duchesses are dressing like the seasons," Hera said.

"What should we be?" Meg wondered. They were all silent.

Rapunzel thought back to her times with Jack, under the stars and the moon. Suddenly, it struck her.

"Stars!" she exclaimed so suddenly, that all the Ladies jumped. "We could be stars!"

"Yes!" Rose squealed, clapping her hands. "Imagine the fabric and designs we could make."

"All eyes would be on us when we walk in," Monica said quietly, slowly smiling. Everyone agreed.

"We need to hire a seamstress and start making our masks," Regina said, standing up. "My Lady, I know of a seamstress who will work tirelessly to make us the belles of the ball."

Rapunzel had wanted to make her dress herself, but she didn't need more glares from her mother.

"Okay. Why don't you tell her to meet us within two hours. Could the rest of you collect the thinks we will need to make the masks? I need to speak with the Queen."

Everyone ran off, excited to start. Rapunzel woke Ellie up before she could get in trouble and went off to the Queen's chambers.

The Queen and her Ladies were sitting around a table making their masks. When Rapunzel was announced, all but the Queen stood and curtsied before sitting back down.

"What do you need, my sweet?" the Queen asked, holding a white feather up to her mask, trying to decide where to put it.

"I wanted to tell you that my Ladies and I will be dressing like the stars for the masquerade ball."

"How exciting! Who will be you seamstress?"

"Regina knows one and has gone to call for her."

"Thank you for informing me," the Queen said. "You, serving girl." She pointed at a young girl standing in the corner. "Fetch me more masks. Quickly."

Less than a minute later, the girl reappeared with a variety of delicate white masks. Some only covered the eyes, others expanded to the nose, the mouth, the chin. Two even covered only the left half of the face.

"Thank you, my Queen," Rapunzel said, smiling. She nodded. For the first time, it felt like an actual mother and daughter relationship.

She hurried back to her quarters. The Ladies had set up a table that was covered in ribbons, feathers, glue, sticks, and an assortment of fake jewels that still glittered like the real thing.

Regina walked back in, head high. "Great news, the seamstress will arrive in about twenty minutes."

"Excellent," Rapunzel said. She glanced over at the book on her bed. "Why don't you all go and get some flowers to freshen up the room while we wait. I need a moment alone."

"I will stay," Monica volunteered. She shook her head.

"It's fine. I'm going to only be reading. Go on, get some flowers."

The second they were gone, Rapunzel took out a fresh piece of paper.

Dearest Jack,

This is the second letter I am writing to you within the hour, but I forgot to mention that it is going to be a masquerade ball. I, and my Ladies, are dressing like the stars.

That is of no importance, though. Could we meet tonight, just as I described in my first letter? I need to talk to someone without fear of judgement.

With love,

Rapunzel.

She folded the letter and neatly wrote the number 2 on the front. She put both letter into the book and set off to the library.

"Hello, Princess!" Tommy greeted. She handed him the book, and he smiled. "You have not written to him in a while. Are you quarreling?"

Rapunzel had to refrain herself from stopping and saying that they met out in her garden.

She thanked Tommy with a little tip and set off back to her room.