Chapter 4

This is dedicated to everyone who voted on the last chapter. You know who you are. ;)

Rapunzel quickly went through the crowd to the dancing area. Currently, they were playing a waltz.

"Rapunzel!" called Mari, standing a little ways away. Rapunzel went over to her.

"My mother didn't even acknowledge me when I told her I didn't have a chair to sit on. Luckily, the guards aren't keeping their eyes on me. See anyone worth your time yet?"

"No, did you?"

"Yes?"

"Oh tell me! What did he look like?"

"Well, he looked about 20, but his hair was white. And his smile was amazing. And his eyes! They were the most gorgeous blue I've ever seen!"

Before Mari could reply, someone cleared their throat. Both girls turned and saw a handsome man standing there. He had slightly tanned skin and brown hair. His hazel eyes twinkled with merriment.

"My name is Jacob. May I ask yours?"

"I'm Rapunzel."

"I'm Mari." Rapunzel glanced over at her friend. She could swear she saw a blush creep up Mari's cheeks.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both," Jacob said. At that moment, the Waltz ended. "Mari, may I have this dance?"

Mari glanced at Rapunzel.

"Oh go on! I need some food anyway," she said. Mari mouthed thank you as Jacob led her to the dance floor. Rapunzel went over to the food area, eyes widening at all of the delicious looking food.

"Miss!" called a voice just as Rapunzel reached for a beautiful chocolate strawberry. She looked up to find a servant rushing over.

"Yes?"

"The queen wants me to remind you of your diet. You are not allowed to eat anything here." Rapunzel's heart sank. Wonderful. Turning to go back to the dance area, she ran into someone and started to fall.

"Oh I'm sorry!" The owner of the voice caught Rapunzel before she fell. She looked up into icy blue eyes that seemed to be laughing.

"It's okay, I should've been watching where I was going," Rapunzel quickly said after she was standing back up.

"I'm Jack, by the way," he said with an over flourished bow.

"I'm Rapunzel," she giggled curtseying. "Could you do me a favor and get me one of those chocolate covered strawberries?"

"Sure!" Jack said. He took two quick strides over and then took two strides back. In his hands were two of the bigger strawberries that looked very delicious. Jack gave one to Rapunzel and held the leafy part of the other.

"To the Star Festival," he said, smiling.

"To the Star Festival," Rapunzel replied. They clinked strawberries before taking big bites and saying, "Mmmmm," at the same time.

"May I have the next dance?" Jack asked when they finished eating.

"You may," Rapunzel said. They walked to the dance area, and found that it was a reel. You may be wondering how Rapunzel can dance, as she was stuck in a tower her whole life. Well, one day her mother brought home a dancing book. Rapunzel poured over it, studying the dances and trying them. Although she had no partner at the time, she became quite good.

Now she had a partner, and Rapunzel had to say, it was thrilling!

The rest of the festival, Rapunzel and Jack danced. As the sun started to set, the musicians played one last song. When it ended, Rapunzel felt a sharp tug on her elbow.

"Princess, the Queen commands you go to the platform," said a soldier. She quickly turned to Jack.

"How will I find you again?" she asked.

"I know someone who works in the palace, I'll have them send you a message. Goodbye, fair lady," Jack said, ending with a flourished bow.

"That sounds good. Goodbye, dashing sir," Rapunzel said, curtseying before she was pulled away.

"Rapunzel!" called Mari. She rushed over to her. "When will we be able to see each other again? Festivals don't come every day."

"I'll try to send you a message. Maybe you can come to my house next. Oh goodbye!" Rapunzel said, giving her a hug. Then the soldier pulled her away and towards the platform.

There, Rapunzel saw her parents standing by a carriage. She gulped as she moved closer. They did not look happy.