26 - Wordless Heartaches

7 Days After the Coronation Celebration

Having lost the ability to trust anyone, Aditya relied solely on his informants who themselves communicated with the King from the secret passages starting from every nook and corner of the palace and ending right in his chambers. Most of the informants were unaware of the fact that they weren't the only spies left by him and he tried his level best that things remain that way.

Instead of having an intricate system of spies where every one knew each other, few individuals doing one man jobs were better and more difficult to tap and manipulate. One of them could be a traitor but if it's a complete organization, the chances of all of them being in on this are more.

Right now, in front of him lay the reply from Priyamvada Laghari. But before he could open it, there was a musical knock from the wall behind the huge painting of seven horses. Two loud thuds, followed by three fast and shallow ones and then a clank of metal. He quickly opened the passage as one of his men came in and bowed to him.

"I was told to find more information about Lady Chitralekha's friend, sire," he said to which Aditya nodded.

"The wedding was supposedly of a friend in the Punjab Province of our kingdom but sources have revealed that  the Lady herself arrived on the day of the wedding and left, the very next day. The travelling time from the Capitol and Gurdaspur is at most, two days and one and a half if Lady travelled in a carriage which she did. I also found out, from the carriage driver that the route of travel was indirect. They first went to Quetta, Baluchistan and then made a round trip to Gurdaspur. That is, according to him the reason why the trip spanned for more than twenty days."

"How long did Lady Chitralekha stay in Quetta?" Aditya asked.

"About a week, my Lord."

"Anything else?"

"Not at the moment."

"Very well. Find out all you can about Chitralekha, all the years from age ten to now when she wasn't in this palace. Spare no details." The man clad in the commoner's clothes bowed and departed to carry out the new orders.

Aditya finally opened the scroll and began reading the letter.

Dear Vikramaditya,

The letter by Queen Mother, Anandani Devi, reached two days ago. If I said I was thrilled by the news of your betrothal, I would be lying. Deep in my heart I've always desired to be in that position which is now taken. But your avid disgust towards alliances silenced me. I do not, in any way, wish to dampen your spirits regarding this pious occasion but it was only fair to both of us that you finally come to know of my sentiments towards you this entire while.

Heartiest congratulations from all of us and Nusrat Baaji, of course. You may not know but ever since, Nusrat baaji came almost nine years, I think, ago, my dear brother has changed a lot. She was the brains behind the ayurvedic reforms and improved weaponry. Although, I won't be able to accompany Bhai sa to the grand feast, I'll try to convince her to tag along. The two may have cordial and professional relationship but I suspect Bhai sa taking a fancy into her even though she's a bit old. But he always says, "Wine tastes better when it's older."

Knock some sense into him when he's there. Love and regards to you and your wife.

Yours
Priyamvada

The letter shocked him in many ways. And I thought she liked my gardens.  He laughed at his stupidity but now, to the more important matters, Nusrat!

So that's her! Nusrat is the disguise and she has been using him. But the question remains that how much the Lagharis know of her reality. I have to find out Chitra's purpose of visit to Quetta. Is she somehow, connected to this whole affair?

Meanwhile, Chitra's handmaid came and left a verbal message from Chitra whereby she confessed helping Sindhiya with the pocket watch and begged for forgiveness on the ground of complete ignorance of his ulterior motives. What game are you playing, Chitra? He thought to himself before putting her to 'nazarband' and ordering that the matter will be discussed the next day, in the court itself.

He was beyond words confused now. Everyone seemed to have something to hide. The more he came to know, the lesser he felt that it might be a paranoia. Now what?

Chitra in Baluchistan, lying about the wedding. Nusrat, probably Sitaara in Baluchistan. Are they connected? But how? And those secret messages, were those bound to Quetta too? And now her being involved with Sindhiya. Where does Maisha fit in all this?

He read the reports by Maisha's guard as frustration and anguish laced his heart. She had been crying alone from the past few days. Although, she did her duties as the Army Chief but it was depressing how much she was trying to communicate with him.

He felt helpless and hateful of himself. She had been missing meals. He knew how stubborn she can be and it bothered him why she couldn't just let go, maybe stop trying and hate him ; protecting her would be easier that way. Letting out a painful sigh he sank to the chair.

His thoughts were interrupted by a gentle knock on the door.

"I have dismissed all your servants and footmen. I know something is bothering you Adi. Talk to me," he heard a gentle voice from the other side and his brain froze. What was she doing here at this hour? She was supposed to be in her bed. He got up and walked as stealthily as he could to the door, fisting his hands to stop him from opening it.

Leaning in ever so slightly, his forehead touched the door as he craved her melodious voice. "I know you're there. Please, open the door.  Why are you making me beg!?" She said breaking down as soft cries escaped her lips.

He wanted to kick down that God damn door and kiss away all her tears but he didn't. It took every last ounce of willpower to not open that door. Maisha had kneeled down, her ear pressed to the door.

"I swear I didn't mean to end up here. I just wanted to find my way back and look at me now," she laughed bitterly staring at her hands as a tear drop splattered at her pale knuckles.

"I'm begging for forgiveness for the crime I didn't commit. Did I end up hurting you so much that you won't even look at me?"

Aditya cringed his eyes shut as a lone tear escaped from his weary face. He was dying to tell her that this wasn't the case, she hadn't hurt him in any way. It was him who was being a scared, pathetic loser who couldn't even protect her properly. What was the use of holding so much power when you end up being a reason of anguish to your loved one, when it hurts to love you, when it hurts because you can't be near them or make their pain go away.

He breathed erratically as he could faintly smell sandalwood and honey, her scent. "I can hear your breathing Adi." She said slowly settling down on the floor.

"I miss my home." She whispered to herself. "I feel so alone here, without you." Silent tears made there down her face as his heart sank at the confession. He pressed his cheek along the door sinking down to the floor as it was too much to take. He could see his resolve crumbling and right now, he couldn't care less. He wanted her, he knew he was breaking down and so was she.

Before he could open the door, he heard footsteps and a voice, Chitra's voice. "Maisha? What are you doing here? Dear, have you been crying?"

He heard.

Then he heard a whimpered cry and a , "Why doesn't he let me in?"

"He must've been asleep. Let's go or you'll catch cold. " After a few incoherent whispers he heard shuffling of footsteps. She was gone.

He let out a frustrated growl, kicking down the foyer and punched the wall hard so much so that he felt his knuckles crack.

"Are you fucking happy now?" He screamed.

"Whoever you are, I will fucking destroy you," he resolved gritting his teeth.

____________

A/n : ik it's short but it kind of felt right to end it here. Writing that scene was the most frustrating thing ever. I really wanted him to open the door.