xii. GOLDEN

[ author note: lil bit not PG but not too naughty lol ]

The beauty of Cholmondeley castle was immense. It could not be understated, nor ignored, for everywhere you looked were glistening windows and chandeliers that lay before you an explosion of colour in light form. Greenery spread for miles for all the eye could see, with large trees and clusters of pinks or reds or purples, surrounding a brilliant lake that stood still in the cold winter weather. The bedroom she was allocated was decorated as though fit for royalty itself. A four poster bed stood in the centre of the room, looking out onto the gardens, with a delicate pink bed spread. Adeline sat before the mirror as she reapplied makeup carefully, ready for whatever festivities would follow that evening. Dinner had been incredible - a spread of everyones favourite foods, and Oliver had arrived afterwards.

"Is everything alright?" A kind voice came from behind her, and she turned her head to see Anastasia at the door, glowing at her friend.

"Perfect, Ana. Really. Thank you so much for having us."

Ana moved into the room with a wide smile, shaking her head. "It's my pleasure. I'm so glad you could all come. Christmas was so terribly boring this year."

Mascara wand was put down, and she looked at her friend curiously. "How come? Are you alright?"

It was hard to imagine things in her life were less than perfect living in such an idyllic place. The sheer beauty of Ana's home was reason enough to be happy, but Adeline was reminded that this wasn't always the case. It was lovely, yes, but lonely: the vast amount of space didn't counter how suffocating it must have felt. Her parents were both muggles, and did not seem to happy about the Wizarding blood in their daughter, not that it could be helped. Anastasia seemed all the best parts of this home and this family, though.

"Of course." Her smile hardly faltered, but she placed herself onto the chaise lounge underneath the window, gazing up at Adeline who sat beside her. "It was just boring. We have all these horrid family traditions - not exciting ones, like most families, but church and an overwhelmingly large dinner, and my brothers only really return home for an hour or so before leaving with their wives." For a moment, Adeline thought she saw a frown on Anastasia's pale, doll-like features. It was gone as quickly as it arrived.

Adeline's hand reached to tuck Ana's blonde hair behind her ear, and she smiled at her friend. "You're always welcome at my house, you know. It isn't quite as grand as this, but my parents would have you willingly. I wouldn't rest knowing you were lonely this Christmas."

"But I get to spend New Years with you, and that is treat enough." Anastasia noted Adeline's confused look. "Oh! I forget that New Years Eve isn't a very big thing in the Wizarding World, is it? Solstice instead?"

Her question was met with a nod, and a flicker of recognition. "Oh, yes. Solstice. I don't think I have ever celebrated a New Years Eve." Anastasia giggled, shaking her head.

"Well, we can this year. Every New Year people set outrageous goals for the year they're sure to never keep. Like...exercising more. Or learning a new instrument."

"I already play two instruments, I don't have enough focus for another."

"What else, then? Surely there's something this year you'd like to achieve?"

Adeline sat in thought, humming quietly as her mind whizzed with ideas. "I'd like to pass all of my exams, for starters. Then...maybe become closer to all of my friends. I think friendship is very important."

"Well, let us hope you do not fail those resolutions."

"What about you?"

Ana shrugged her dainty shoulders, and it dawned on Adeline how pristine her friend really was. Her beauty was incredibly original, and she was almost golden. Like a human incarnation of a star. "I wish to become more proficient in language learning, and to beat your highest mark in alchemy."