xxx. THE NEXT CHAPTER

London was incredibly underwhelming after weeks in the heart of Europe. Perhaps she didn't appreciate its beauty because of how familiar it was, but the thought of remaining in one single place for the rest of her days filled her with some dread. It was reassuring to remember she was young, and had the ability to do anything she truly wanted to do, such as move abroad whenever the opportunity would present itself. She'd never understand how one could be content with a sea of grey in rainy England when there were incredible oceans and civilisations built onto cliffs. 

It was a terrible kind of pathetic fallacy: the rain was crashing violently onto the streets of the muggle city, as though it was crying for her. They'd returned from their trip just the day before, and England hadn't greeted them kindly. 

Adeline felt grateful for the previous few weeks, and the opportunity to travel had provided her with new insight into her life, granting her time away from the mayhem to look at it in a fresh perspective. It had become increasingly clear that she shouldn't take anything for granted. The friends that surrounded her were magnificent, and reuniting with Alex took a huge weight off her shoulders. She knew she had issues to resolve with her parents, and this would be done in time - there was no doubt in her mind now that something was being hidden from her, and this revelation brought an identity crisis. 

Finally, Adeline knew she had to confront somebody she didn't want to confront. Her infatuation with Remus Lupin was almost certainly holding her back, and she was eager to move forward (this, of course, was prompted by the complete lack of letters sent her way whilst she was travelling). She would still provide him with his wolfsbane potion as promised, and there was certainly some part of her that wished to know him, regardless, even if it was something of a friend. But Adeline's feelings for her former teacher were beginning to manifest in a bigger way, and she couldn't handle such an intense infatuation right now.

At that current moment, however, she'd decided to visit somebody else before having to make her way to the bookshop to give Lupin his potion. Rather than apparating through magical means, she'd made the decision to travel on muggle transport - a train, of all things - to Surrey, to visit the famous Harry Potter.

His family, she knew, weren't the kindest, and they'd exchanged the occasional letter. His birthday was only a few days ago, and she had a small gift to give him. 

She rest her head against the window of the train, watching the terrible August weather. How sad to be robbed of the sun in the brightest season, she thought, eyes flickering shut briefly. The past year had made her care for Harry in the way she'd imagine she'd care for a sibling. There was some kind of protectiveness - an instinct to look after him, and she'd never felt it in this way before. Perhaps wishing to care for him was ridiculous when you knew what he was capable of. Harry Potter was almost as skilled as she was, and he was many years younger.

Regardless, she sat for the hour train journey down to Surrey, feeling somewhat relaxed by the movement of the carriage. Muggle trains were much different to the ones they had in the wizarding world. For one, they jolted an awful lot more, and stopped every ten minutes or so. Apparation would have been far more simple, but she liked using muggle things every once in a while. Whilst she would always prefer things to be done with magic, they were certainly peculiar.

Adeline stepped off the train once they arrived at her station, clutching her bag around her body. In all honesty, she hadn't the slightest idea how to get to Harry's house: he'd told her his address in a letter before, and told her to not knock on the door, because his Uncle would react very poorly. Instead, she'd have to apparate up to his bedroom. 

A kind old lady helped her find directions to Little Whinging, and she walked through the bland streets of beige coloured houses until she found herself on Privet Drive. What struck her was how exceptionally boring it was. Every house was identical to the one beside it, and it was incredibly mundane. It seemed ridiculous to think that the boy who defeated Voldemort lived here.