xxiii. ALCHEMIST'S APPRENTICE

"Adeline?"

That voice. Enough to make her stomach do somersaults, deep and warming at the same time - Merlin, she loved how her name sounded on his tongue. Her eyes opened, and she was met by his warm gaze and sweet smile. He looked so wonderful in the morning. Messy hair and no shirt. It encouraged a sleepy smirk.

"Remus."

Lupin was stood next to their bed, holding two cups of tea. His pyjama bottoms hung low on his hips, and it accentuated how toned he was. Seeing him in this setting was different, but welcomed: to be domesticated like this was a dream.

"You need to wake up." He grinned, placing the mugs on the side table. She didn't know exactly where they were, but it had a familiar feeling - as though it was exactly where she was supposed to be. Tall windows covered with cream drapes decorated the room, and the bed was large, piled with a fluffy white duvet and an obscene amount of pillows.

"Why is that?"

"Because you can't stay in bed all day."

"I can, and I will." Small hands reached out to tug him towards her, and he fell into bed willingly, smirking as he did so. She traced patterns over the scars on his chest, drunk on the warmth of his skin, the adoration in his gaze. "And who are you to stop me?"

Remus took this as a challenge, flipping them over so that he lay on top of her, pinning her hands above her head. He breathed down, an amused look on his face. She always forgot how strong he was. Lips were raised to meet his, but he pulled back, tutting. "What do you want, Adeline?"

Eyes rolled at his words, but she felt her heart skip a beat as he spoke her name again. She tried to meet him once more, but he avoided her kiss, pressing himself into her frame. Adeline struggled against his grip, eventually giving up with a huff. He watched with a hungry stare. "What do you want, Remus?"

He was the most handsome man she'd ever seen. Cuts peppered his face, and scars decorated his body, but his eyes were kind and warming. The violence of his figure was nothing compared to the peace she found in his arms. Hands caressed her gently, but he treated her like his equal, never too gentle, always challenging. She would run her fingers through those brown curls with ease, and his smile made her melt. He was perfect, and he was hers.

"I want you." Remus whispered, and reached down to finally meet her lips.

She sat up with a jolt.

Her dorm was completely quiet, and her roommates lay asleep silently beside her. The room was brightening as daytime arrived. Heart was thumping - the dream felt so real. Remus Lupin in her arms felt the most natural thing in the world. 

Adeline was angry he'd first overwhelmed her thoughts, but now controlled her dreams. There seemed no escaping the Professor she'd become infatuated with, regardless of whether she wanted to think of him or not. Forgetting about him seemed the only option, and she had to remind herself that it was only a silly crush, and that they'd barely known each other. He'd made it abundantly clear that he did not want her. She was acting a fool, and she couldn't allow herself to be so weak.

Legs swung over the side of her bed, and she stood noiselessly, creeping across the floor to get into Margo's bed. Her best friend rolled over at the presence of somebody else beside her, familiar with Adeline's figure, and snuggled her head into her shoulder with a tired yawn. "You okay?" she whispered, and Adeline burrowed into the duvet further.

"Yeah," she replied, hugging her friend close to her chest as she adjusted to the morning light. "It's our last day at Hogwarts."

Margo's head appeared from below her, in a nest of clothes and cushions. She pouted. "I'm not ready to leave."