i. LETTERS FROM CHARLIE

song: young folks by peter bjorn and john.

Seven days had passed since she'd seen Charlie Weasley in Diagon Alley, and he'd sent her seven letters since - one every morning. Adeline had sent the first one, telling him how nice it had been running into him, and he'd replied moments later. Then he'd sent a letter the next day. And the next. And the next. Eventually, she'd sit waiting at the windowsill for his morning greetings. Some were long, informing her in copious amounts of detail about the dragons he was missing, whilst others were brief. Thursday's letter had only seven words: Percy won't shut up about cauldrons. Charlie.

The routine of waking up to the wise and wonderful words of Charlie Weasley was one she was becoming familiar with, and she liked his daily updates. Somehow, hearing about the commotion of his family made her feel at ease, especially when she considered the tension within her own house. 

This particular morning, however, she woke up feeling much more positive: today would be the day she'd move into her new apartment with Margo and Anastasia. It was an incredible privilege to be able to live with her two best friends, and she felt intense excitement when she thought about how the next few years together would be.

Adeline woke up much earlier than usual, and was surprised to find an owl at her window already. Charlie had said in one of his letters that his name was Pig - a peculiar one - and that he liked treats once his letters were delivered. She took it from his beak carefully, petting him with one hand before offering him some of the little owl food she had left. He nudged her affectionately, and awaited her response.

Morning Addie,

Good luck with the big move today. Let me know if you need any help!

Mum keeps asking me who I'm sending my early morning letters to, as it seems she's caught on to our correspondence, and she was quite excited when I mentioned you. 

I know the Quidditch World Cup is in two days, and you might want to get settled into your new flat, but she wanted me to ask if you'd like to join us for dinner tomorrow evening. Harry should be there too, and she'd really like you to come.

No pressure, or anything, but I'd quite like you to come, too.

Charlie x

An amused smile formed on her lips at the words he'd scribbled in his barely legible handwriting, one she'd become so familiar with that reading it was as simple as reading her own. Being invited to the Burrow was exciting.

Good morning Charlie,

Thanks for the luck. Should be okay, but it's reassuring knowing you're only a letter away. Hopefully there shouldn't be any dragons we need taming, but I'll let you know if there is. 

Tell your mum thank you for the invite - I'd love to come for dinner. Especially because she really wants me to come (and not at all because you do).

Hope you have a good day. Speak tomorrow.

Adeline x

Her response was written neatly on a piece of parchment, then folded up to tuck into the beak of his owl. Pig flew away quickly, batting his little wings against the cool morning air.

She changed soon afterwards and began sorting her belongings into piles of those that could be sent directly by magic and those that had to be carried due to their fragile nature. Her childhood room was looking incredibly bare now, and it was bittersweet: she adored her home, but the uncomfortable situation she found herself in with her parents made her eager to leave.