ix. FLYING NORTH

song: some by steve lacy

Sirius Black.

He grinned at them in a mixture of amusement and relief, eyes drawing across their dishevelled appearances and scarlet cheeks. Interrupting was certainly what he was doing, and that much was evident - though, as funny as he found the situation, he was willing himself to silence the voice in his head that wanted to punch his old friend in the face. Perhaps he felt protective of the young girl because of how much he saw himself in her. Stepping into the apartment, he shut the door quickly, weary that somebody might see him. After all, he was still a man on the run.

"Lovely apartment you've got here, Ade."

The nickname made her wince, drawing a look of confusion from both men. It was something only her mother called her, and she was suddenly aware of how long it had been since she'd been in contact with her. Adeline found it particularly difficult to talk to her parents, as she was almost certain they were hiding something from her. The issue with her memory was never truly far from her mind, but there had been more pressing concerns of late. Maybe she was just too scared to see what she'd find.

"Sirius!" she rushed forward to offer the man a tight hug, and he wrapped his arms around her dotingly, squeezing her with all of his strength. Remus stood watching them, nervously adjusting his jumper and attempting to fix his hair, as though trying to make it inconspicuous of what had been happening before. "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in hiding!"

Features of joy were replaced with those of concern, and she pulled back as Remus stepped forward, offering his long-term friend a jovial hug. 

He was careful to stay away from the windows, and walked slowly into the kitchen, observing his environment curiously. "Really, Ade, how did you find such a place? It's fabulous."

Adeline offered Remus a look of worry, and he returned it. They moved toward him, eager to know what his plans were. 

"Sirius, are you alright?" hummed Lupin, arms folded. She noted how handsome he looked - dishevelled, flushed, concerned. 

"I'm fine. I'm back because of Harry - have you spoken to him?" he asked Adeline, who nodded in response.

"He sent me a letter about the Triwizard tournament. What did he say to you? Is he alright?"

Both Sirius and Remus shared a look, noting how Adeline's worry for the other boy was genuine, and welcomed. It was what their friends would have wanted: a multitude of people who cared for their son.

"He told me that his scar is hurting." Sirius moved towards Adeline with the erratic nature of man who had long been deprived of freedom, so suddenly that Remus nearly stepped forward to protect her. She jumped in surprise, eyes widening as she watched him. She wondered what he'd been like before prison. How it had changed it. "We've been saying it, Adeline. I told you - something is coming, and Dumbledore - he'd recruited Mad-Eye, and he's reading the signs - something is coming -"

"Sirius, you need to calm down -" Remus began, hands raising in defence.

"Moony!" he snapped in response, and both were taken aback. "It feels like it did before. Just the same."

Adeline observed them both with furrowed brows, self-conscious of her immaturity in this setting. How old they both seemed, dated by war, reminiscing on a terror of a past. 

Sirius Black turned back toward her, manic eyes landing on her terrified face. "You were at the World Cup, weren't you? You saw it for yourself. They're coming back. Are you still getting those dreams?"

"What dreams?" Remus questioned, turning to look at her with a face of worry.

She had recalled describing her reoccurring dream once or twice to Sirius in her letters, but didn't think he'd latch onto it as much as he had. "They aren't - they're not dreams as such, more - memories. But they're stronger this time. More real."