viii. THE QUIDDITCH GAME

The next week was more tense than normal. Not only were people incredibly stressed with their classes, but Sirius Black entering the castle brought new fear into an otherwise calm environment. Hogwarts was supposed to be the safest school around, but if Black was able to penetrate their walls whilst escaping hundreds of Dementors, it instilled terror and doubt into the hearts of most students and their parents. Adeline had already received letters upon letters from her mother, insisting she come home - though, Esme was always talked down by Nicholas. Quidditch was soon returning, and that allowed some sense of normality for the school: it meant, however, that Oliver had been almost unbearable to be around.

To add to the bad energy in the air, Adeline had been having an increased amount of bad dreams. They weren't horrific, rather things she had gotten used to, suffering heavily from them as a child. They remained the same: a tall man with dark hair leaning over her as a baby and stroking her hair, then him rocking her to sleep with Esme by his side. He looked at her lovingly, and his face was familiar, but fading. It had been so long. Next came a big house in London, as a woman with kind eyes and the same auburn hair held her - then screams. Green lights flashing around her, and then it goes dark. Adeline would toss and turn in the night, mumbling things in protest, shouting out until Margo would hold her and comfort her sobs. They'd sleep together in the small bed until morning.

Her lack of rest was evident in the bags under her eyes. Her whole body was filled with exhaustion, and she began to have splitting migraines due to her tiredness. It took everything in Adeline to get up in the morning, and more often than not Margo would have to haul her downstairs. The two arrived to breakfast looking downtrodden, sitting down in front of their other friends.

"Merlin, Addie. You look bloody awful." Oliver hummed, leaning forward to his cousin with a look of concern. His brows furrowed, and he considered that maybe his focus had been too much on Quidditch and not on the wellbeing of his favourite cousin.

"I'm not sleeping the best." She said quietly, taking a long sip of the coffee in front of her. Her hands were shaking, and she cupped the mug for warmth. Margo touched her best friend's arm and looked to the boys in concern. Only Alexander met her gaze, and he looked increasingly worried. Margo motioned for him to follow her.

"I'm going to go check the noticeboard." Margo said, and Alex nodded.

"I'll come with you."

Adeline was too tired to recognise why they'd left. She stayed with Oliver, who reached out and grabbed his cousin's hand, coaxing her into conversation.

Both stood just outside the Grand Hall's double doors, out of sight. Margo sighed as Alex folded his arms over his chest.

"What's going on with her? She won't speak to me about it." He questioned.

"Nightmares, again."

"I thought they stopped in fourth year."

"They're back. I don't know why. It's horrible, Alex. She wakes up sobbing her eyes out, gripping her sheets. She shouts things about people being killed. About a green light."

They were quiet, looking at one another with worry. Adeline had always suffered from nightmares, but it had stopped a while back. Them returning was definitely concerning. 

"Should we tell Esme?"

"Not yet. She already wants Adeline to go home, with Sirius Black being around. She'd drag her back if she knew."

"Maybe we should take her to Pomfrey. Get a sleeping potion."

Nods of agreements, and they decided that after the day of classes, they would go find their Matron. They returned to the Hall and slowly pulled Adeline to their first lesson of the day, Defense Against the Dark Arts.