xiv. VICTORY

Lessons with Lupin continued weekly, and whilst Harry was improving, his Patronus was not yet corporeal. Adeline's own attempts were not successful, either - a flicker of light would spring from her wand, but she was yet to discover what form her own spirit would take. He had given her his permission slip into the restricted section, however, and she'd been able to gather a pile of books for research.

Excitement began to buzz around the castle as quidditch drew near, and Oliver became more and more unbearable. He would chatter non-stop about Harry's broom, and about how they had to win the next match, and how he felt so incredibly hard done by. It pushed Adeline to the edge one evening in the Common Room.

"I just hope - y'know, if the Dementors do attack him - that he manages to catch the Snitch on the way down."

Her book was slammed shut, and her eyes widened in anger. "And what about the poor boy's life, Oliver? Is his well-being less important than some stupid win in some stupid game?" Oliver remained silent, realising his error. "You know nothing of how horrible it is to be victim to those creatures. Show some compassion instead of being so ignorant." With her words, she stood and sauntered up to the girl's dorms.

Alexander raised an eyebrow and Margo whacked Wood hard on the arm. "Idiot." 

News would spread around the castle quickly that the Firebolt would be returned to Harry, and that he would play with it in the next match. The enjoyable atmosphere only increased, and the very morning of the game, Adeline entered the Great Hall to witness a large crowd surrounding her house table, swooning over the site of a Firebolt. She furrowed her eyebrows in annoyance and sat down beside Alexander, who was on the edge of the swarm. 

"Morning Montgomery." He grinned. He was always in a good mood on the morning of a game - Alex had always been a huge fan of quidditch, something he and Oliver bonded over.

"Alex." replied Adeline, eyes rolling as she noted her cousin's pride only a few paces away, basking in the glory of his Seeker. People from other houses came over to look at the broom, and Cedric Diggory, the fifth year Hufflepuff captain, spoke to Harry with a wide grin. She had to admit, he was very handsome - her housemates had been right about that.

"Has he been that unbearable all morning?" She questioned Alex, nodding towards Oliver. He chuckled.

"Can you blame him? It is a Firebolt, Addie. And Potter is a bloody good seeker. If he's got his Dementor problem under control, they're guaranteed a win." He replied, shrugging shoulders.

She frowned. As much as she was annoyed at Oliver, a Gryffindor win was good for morale, and she did take pride in her house. Occasionally she'd get competitive when watching. Her main hope, however, was that Harry really did have his Dementor problem under control.

Just before eleven, the pair stood, waving goodbye to Margo who would be meeting Winnie to watch, sure to be playfully teasing each other with their house rivalry. Alexander offered Adeline his arm and they walked to the pitch together, with her hugging him closer in the face of the cold. Her mouth buried underneath her Gryffindor scarf, and she quickly excused herself into the locker room before the match would begin.

Oliver perked up at the sight of his cousin. "Addie!"

"I'm not here for you, Wood." Eyes rolled, and she walked over to Harry, offering him a smile. They'd gotten used to each other's company over the few weeks, and she'd consider him a friend now. "Good luck, Harry. Just remember, if anything happens, to keep calm and channel all your energy into that memory." Adeline raised a hand to squeeze his shoulder, and he looked grateful for the words of encouragement. Before leaving, she glanced at her cousin, offering a small, but visible smile.