Chapter 18: I'm Sorry.

"Hey! did you finish washing off your makeup?" Ashley nods turning the tap off, she hates the way she looks without it.

If her friends saw her right now they would be disgusted. She must've been making a face because Y/n rubs her back. "You're gorgeous without it too."

The blonde blushes at the compliment.

They step out of the bathroom and Matthew hands her the towel and umbrella, opening his own after. "Let's go."

"Haven't you heard the saying!? Don't open an umbrella inside!" Y/n says smacking him, "In the house! this is a gas station." he corrects.

Ashley watches the interaction confused, what did they want from her? was it money? why else would they be doing this?

"Hey!" she snaps out of her thoughts staring at Y/n who smiles. "Let's go home."

She sits in the backseat listening to the couples conversation, "I'm just saying if robots were to take over earth, aliens could win." Y/n explains.

"Robots are smarter." Matthew replies stubbornly.

"W-Well.. we don't know how smart aliens are." Ashley finally speaks up. She's afraid they'll judge her like her friends would've but instead Y/n laughs.

"My point exactly!"

Matthew scoffs but his smile gives him away, the whole situation making Ashley sadder.

She didn't feel nervous or intimidated to the point where she had to act rude. She felt good, comfortable.

The car comes to a stop at a red light and Matthew turns to face her. "We're gonna take you to your apartment, or would you like somewhere else?"

"Oh, well I kind of lost my job and my apartment." she squirms nervously, "I've been staying with a friend, b-but she's never seen me like this.."

No, she felt exhausted at the thought of having to put on a whole face of makeup and pretend to be rich and better then everyone else.

"Do.. you want to stay with us?" Y/n asks softly, Ashley turns to look at Matthew. "Can I?"

"I don't care." he shrugs plopping back down. "Okay then.."

Y/n's apartment is warm and comfortable, "You can shower first I'll leave some clothes by the door." she smiles turning on the lights.

Ashley nods leaving the couple alone in the kitchen. Y/n sighs leaning against the counter.

"You're too generous sometimes y'know." Matthew says putting a hand on either side of the table, trapping her.

"You're too handsome sometimes you know." she teases wrapping her arms around his waist.

"I'm serious.." Y/n groans, "Are you seriously going to scold me right now?"

"No." he places a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I just don't want you to get hurt." his eyes are glowing with affection.

She grabs his shirt and pulls him down so their lips make contact softly. "I'll be okay."

Y/n showers afterwards, leaving Matthew and Ashley alone. Ten minutes of silence go by before she speaks up, "I'm sorry.."

"About bullying Y/n or about cheating on me?" he mutters focused on his phone.

There's an uncomfortable silence, he knows he's being a dick but he doesn't hold any respect for Ashley. Matthew drops his phone on his lap.

"This is Y/n's apartment but as soon as you you make her uncomfortable i'll be the one walking you out." he snapped.

"Matthew!" Oh shit, now he's going to be the one getting scolded.

Y/n shoots him a look that says 'Apologize!' but he scoffs looking away. She rubs Ashley's back awkwardly walking her to the living room.

"Here! Watch some TV, you must be hungry. Dinner will be ready soon." Y/n hands her a blanket that smells just like her.

Ashley's doesn't understand how Matthew and Y/n get along,

Matthew was reserved and hardly liked talking to anyone, but Y/n was kind and always accepted anyone with open arms.

She had always been perfect in my eyes, A part of me envied her happiness and wanted to take it away.

But.. the other part of me.. admired her, fell in love with her kind eyes and bright smile.

Maybe that's why.. even after all these years..

"Foods ready!" she coos from the kitchen, Ashley blushes wrapping herself tighter in the blanket.

I still had a crush on her.