Chapter 8: Are You Ok?

Matthew's POV:
"I'll see you on Monday for our study date!" She waves. "Not a date but okay!"

I watch her until she enters her apartment then leave. It's already past one so I drive back home to shower and change.

My moms currently at her boyfriends house which relieves me because she won't see the bruise on my face. Or the girl I snuck in and out.

The door to my room opens and Kade walks in "Hey- What the hell did you do to your hair!?" he bursts out laughing.

"Go away, don't you have a child to take care of?" he continues laughing. "Max is at a sleepover, remember?"

"Then go take care of your girlfriend!" I say obviously frustrated. "Let me help you." Kade finally calms down and fixes the mess I made.

"So.. Today's the date, huh?" I smile. "Sure is." He's nodding but I can tell there's something he wants to say.

"What is it?" I groan and he cringes. "Its just- Ashley? she was cute but a total asshole!"

"She's not like that." I defend.

"She made you do her homework." I shove his hand away. "She was my friend, she wasn't using me." Kade puts his hands up. "Okay, Okay! i'm not fighting with you."

I check my watch, 6:36 pm.

"Look man, I've got to go but i'll introduce you to her later."

Ashley had sent me the address telling me that she wanted to meet at a specific restaurant. The date was at 7:00 and I arrived a couple minutes before.

I choose a booth and sit down pulling out my phone. I flinch when I feel someone wrap their arms around me from behind. "It's like we're meant to be together."

Wait, that's not Ashley, thats- "What're you doing here y/n?" I say gently removing her arms. "I work here!"

She places a menu down then moves so she's sitting in front of me and I notice her uniform. "I thought you worked at target?"

"I do. Target and this restaurant!" I nod and fidget with my hands. "Uh.. well i'm expecting someone and they'll be here any second so.."

her eyes narrow as she tries to read me but I avoid her eyes. "Who?"

"Me." Ashley interrupts. She's wearing a tight red dress with red lipstick and even though it doesn't fit the occasion she still looks beautiful.

"Oh.." y/n stands and Ashley sits. "Fetch me a menu would you?" My eyes winded at her tone and I notice how she stares her down.

For a second y/n's hand clenches but she glances at me and smiles politely, "Yes ma'am." then leaves.

"I hate her." Ashley mutters. "What? Why?" the same protective instinct I got at the movies fills my chest. "She was a nerd that followed me around everywhere in middle school."

"Hey, why're you being so rude?" she must've noticed the way my attitude changed because her features softened. "Oh! Was I being rude? I'm sorry, Matt. I've been having a bad day."

She pouts cutely. "It's okay, I'm sorry too." There's a loud echo as y/n drops the menu on the table. "There's your menu. What would you like to drink?"

Ashley's eye twitches and y/n smirks.

I clear my throat, "Uh I'll have a coke, what do you want?" I smile at Ashley and she seems to calm down. "Get me a water."

She scribbles on her notepad, she looks like a mad toddler who's drawing. I crack a smile at her.

"Are you ready to order? or should I come back?"

"We're ready."
"Come back later."

There's an awkward silence as Ashley and me stare at each other.

y/n snorts then covers her mouth. "Sorry, I'll go get your drinks."

"Uhm.. I'm sorry." I say dropping my head onto the table. "Hey, don't stress it." She ruffled my hair with a cute giggle that makes my cheeks red.

"What're you going to get?" I ask as y/n places the drinks down. "I'll have a salad with a water."

"Are you sure the salad is enough?" Ashley nods. "I'm sure, what about you?"

"I'll get a burger with a shake."

"Is that all?" y/n's phone buzzes in her apron and I watch her face fall when she looks at it.

"Are you okay?"
"Thats all."

Y/n ignores me and walks into the kitchen in a rush. "So, what've you been up to?"

"Huh? oh, just work stuff." I mumble looking around for y/n. "What're you staring at?" Ashley says clearly annoyed.

I look back at her, "Sorry. I'm getting distracted. What about you?"

"I started modeling." she flips her hair to the side and I grin. "That's amazing!" out of the corner of my eye I see y/n leaving.

"I know right! I love it and they pay really well so i'm living in a luxury apartment..." she keeps talking but my minds on something else.

I wonder if y/n's okay, I mean I'm allowed to care.. Why did she look worried? is that why she left? maybe her shift ended? I'll text her.

"You know what I mean?" Ashley smiles and I blink. "Oh yeah, definitely!"

"You're such a good listener, Matt!" she giggles.

"I try, haha."

god I really do.