Chapter 6: I Won't Let Anyone Hurt You.

Matthew's POV:
"Why'd you hit him?" y/n whispered, her eyes filled with guilt.

"I.. don't know.." Seeing her like that, scared. It made me want to protect her.

"I just felt bad, he was being a dick." She's breathing shakily and from time to time she bites her lip to stop it from quivering.

"Are you okay?" my voice comes out softer then it should've and when her eyes meet mine she collapses and becomes a sobbing mess. I shut the bathroom door then move to her.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" She curls into herself as I reach for her. "You got hurt because of me.."

"It wasn't because of you, I was dumb." I keep my voice calm letting her hug me. My hand rubbing her back awkwardly.

"I can't lose you too.." my heart drops, Now that I think about, she's never mentioned her family.

"I'm so stupid, If I had just left him before he started hurting me.."

I wrap my arms around her, "I won't let anyone hurt you." I whisper as the protective feeling crawls back into my chest.

"I'm so tired, Matthew." she cried quietly.

"..of what?" My hand had found it's way to her soft hair and I pressed her closer to me as her breathing steadied.

"Of pretending that i'm happy." she sniffled. "But you're always happy?" I feel her shake her head and she squeezes me tighter. "I'm so tired and alone all the time, I hate it.."

My mouth opens but no words come out, I rest my chin on her head. "I feel that way too sometimes."

for a moment I think she's done but when I call her name and she doesn't reply I realize she fell asleep.

Exhausted and Comfortable, I keep my chin on her head and close my eyes but when the door opens and my brother enters I realize how bad this looks.

"It's not what it looks like, I swear."

"It looks like my little bro got a girlfriend." he sits on the toilet in front of me. "She's not my girl-"

Y/n whines and curls up closer, an embarrassing red fills my face as my brothers smile grows. "When did that happen?"

"Nothing happened, shes just been following me around for a bit.."

"Oh so she likes you."

"I guess.." The way he's smiling makes me look away and he laughs. "So do you like her?"

I look at her face for a few seconds before I look up, "I.. I like Ashley."

"Hold up. Ashley, popular girl that you had a crush on in high school, that Ashley?" I nod with a blush. "I have a date with her this weekend."

"Can I ask you something then?" y/n begins to move again so I steady her head onto my chest.

"Yeah?"

"If you like Ashley, why do you care about the girl in your arms?" my eyes widen, "Because shes my friend, I care about my friends."

"Is she the reason your face ended up like that?" When I don't reply he ruffles my hair, "Getting beat up for a girl, what a cliché."

and with that he walks out.

I don't move, My body's frozen and my minds racing. Why do I care? Why did I hit him?

"What's your name?" her eyes were bright.

"Matthew.." I had mumbled.

"You're really cute, Matthew." her smile was brighter.

she looked at me with affection and always had questions.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Do you like pizza?"

"Am I pretty?"

she always found ways to touch me, grabbing my hand, touching my hair, poking me, and tickling me because, "I haven't seen you smile today!"

Maybe I care for her because she cares for me.

I sigh, yeah that must be it, I care for her because she's my friend. I carry her to my bed and plop her down.

she's still asleep but tears stream down her face silently. I push her hair back and leave my hand there while I stare at her. "Why do you lie about being happy?"

"How long.. have you pretended?"

why do you care so much about the girl?

"I care about my friends." that's all there was to it.

No feelings,
just friends.. right?