Chapter 4: The Protector.

Matthews POV:
Ashley and I met when we were juniors.

Even though she was popular and I wasn't, she wouldn't hesitate to talk to me. Sure, from time to time she would give me her homework and I'd immediately get it done but it wasn't like she used me.. right? We were friends.

She still hasn't changed, she was beautiful.

"Is this your girlfriend?" Ashley says glancing at y/n who's clinging to me and glaring at her. I quickly push her off. "No, I'm sorry about her."

"Then.. could I maybe get your number?"

My heart and body immediately react as I grab her phone. "Yeah! let me type it for you!" she giggles and my heart stutters.

"Thanks, I'll text you!" she winks and walks away.

I bring my attention onto the girl next to me and flinch at the glare she's sending me.
"Come to the movies with me or I'll tell Ashley your my boyfriend."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Is that a no?" she starts chasing after Ashley and I grab her wrist and pull her to me, "Okay! i'll go to the movies with you, jeez."

I check my wristwatch, 7:09 PM.

"But only if we go right now." Y/n tilts her head, "Hmm.. Okay let's go!" she runs to my car and waits for me to unlock it.

Throughout the drive Y/n starts talking about the movie but my minds on someone else.

"I think you'll like it!" she says turning to beam at me, I nod. "Yeah. definitely."

There's a comfortable silence as she looks out of the window, "Hey Matthew.."

"Yeah?" the light turns red and I turn to face her. "Do you.." Buzz!

New Message: hey! it's Ashley :)

I quickly move to grab my phone. "Tell me when the light turns green."

"I wasn't.. never mind." y/n huffs and looks up at the lights. "It's green."

I hit the send button and continue driving. "What's Ashley's last name?"

"What? are you stalking her too?" she sighs and looks away. "No, I'm pretty sure she bullied me in middle school."

"Quit lying, we're here." I say pulling into the parking lot. "I'm not lying." She does sound serious but the pout she's wearing makes me realize something.

"Listen, I know your jealous but don't make stuff up, Ashley's a good person."

She mutters something as she gets out that I can't understand. "What movie are we watching?"

"I told you on the way here! it's about these super cool robots that fight aliens, and get this! it takes place on mars." she makes a mind blowing gesture along with an explosion sound effect.

I laugh. "I didn't know you were into nerdy stuff."

"It's not nerdy!" she defends.

After we get the tickets and popcorn, we decide to sit all the way in the back where no one sits. "Turn off your phone so it doesn't disturb people." she whispered.

I nod. "Yeah. Let me just.."

One New Message: I know we haven't talked since high school but would you like to go out this weekend?

"Holy shit." I mumble as I feel my face heat up. I make sure my reply is laid back.

I'm down, are you free at six?

"Hey boyfriend, the movies starting."

"Not your boyfriend." I say as I turn off my phone.

"Yet." she sips her soda and I flick her forehead. "Ow!"

I'll admit, the movie was way better than I thought. "They already made a second part, we should come watch it!" she says as we walk towards the exit. "hmm I'll think about it."

"Well, Well, Well.. What do we have here?"

I feel her tense besides me as if she recognizes the voice and we turn to face the guy. "How you been y/n?"

I can tell she's trying to be brave as she settles in front of me, "Why are you here?"

"Why so shy?" he laughs and moves to try to grab her but I step in. "Who are you?"

I don't have a clue about this guy, he's about six feet tall and has a glint in his eye that I don't like.

I also don't like the fact that I can feel Y/N's hand shaking as she holds my sweater.
"Matthew, let's just go."

"You got yourself a boyfriend I see!"

"He's not my boyfriend. Leave him out of it.."

"Did she tell you?" he leans in close to my face, "Do you know how much of a mess she is?"

He laughs, "Obviously not if your still with her."

he leans down to be face level with y/n grabbing her chin, she tries pulling away whimpering at his painful grip.

"Someone as fucked up as you can't love. So stop trying."

Everything went by in a blur, I saw her with tears in her eyes, my body moved on its own and the next thing I know..

my fist is in his face.