if i were you: fives pt. 3

'-Uhmmm yes and thank you for the request (from tumblr)
-Of kriffing COURSE I'll do a pt 3!
-I love asks, they make my day so thank you so much!!
-the beginning is inspired by something that actually happened to me today (but it's greatly exaggerated in this. promise.)

WARNINGS: MENTIONS OF DEATH, ABUSE, HOSPITALIZATION.

The first thing that hits your nose is a sharp scent, like toast that's been overcooked. You frown to yourself, dropping your pencil on the dining table as Fives follows your gaze. "What's that smell?" you inquire. He shoots up from the couch, darting into the kitchen with a low hiss. "Maker!"

You frown. That can't be good. "Fives, did you put something in the toaster?" You don't get an answer straight away, and maybe it's better that way. When it's silent for too long, you get up from your seat, ignoring the screeching of your chair against the wooden floorboards. "Fives, don't tell me you--"

Everything you assumed you'd see would have been so much better. Burnt toast. Water boiling over the sides of a pot. Overcooked ramen that's too soggy to swallow. The bright flames licking at your stove and overflowing to the L-shaped counters is so much worse. How did this happen?, you wonder to yourself. Just what had Fives been up to while you were studying for an exam?

He's suddenly shouting at you to do something as he fans the fire. It grows in size and he's screaming, but it's hard to hear him over pounding in your head. That's when you hear the smoke detector. That familiar beep beep beep beep sound that always went off unconventionally. You never guessed it could have been right, not until now.

The words finally fall from your mouth: "Call 911!"

"What's the number?!" Fives cries. You speed past him, whipping out your phone and turning on the sink. The numbers displayed on the screen flash before your eyes, and as Fives dumps water over the hot flames, you calmly speak into your phone. It's as if you've been trained for this, for a life-or-death situation that would most definitely break you in the long run.

You were already broke as it was, paying for bills on your own and the college debt that left you waist-deep in nothing. After your mum had been hospitalised due to her condition, you've been on your own, with only Fives as that little bit of domestic support. He couldn't work, not when he didn't have a passport, proof of his citizenship, or really of his existence as a whole.

After all, he was technically still a 'fictional character'.

When the fire department arrive, you and Fives already have the fire out. It was a miracle that the fire hadn't spread to the rest of your home, but still a complete loss for your poor stove and toaster.

"I'm sorry..."

You turn to Fives and cup his cheek. His eyes are downcast as you run your fingers against his smooth skin. He feels guilty, that much you can tell, but you can't blame him. You simply don't have the strength to when you are oh so tired. "I bet it was a malfunction in the machinery." you quietly answer. "It's not your fault, love."

He meets your gaze with doe-like eyes that remind you just how young he is on the inside. "But I--"

You shut him down with a peck on the lips and link your hands in his. When the firemen are done inspecting the house for any possible flames you might've missed, you walk back inside and give your mum a ring. She doesn't care much about the house. It's all you and Fives that matters, just as any parent should think. You're grateful she isn't angry, and more so that she tells you insurance will cover everything just fine.

The next week go smoothly. You pass your test with flying colours, your mum's health is as stable as ever, and the house recovers with the help of insurance. The only issue you have left is the aching pain in your chest.