brother: (platonic) kylo ren

"You don't always have to do everything alone (Y/n)."

Father placed a hand on my shoulder, his deep eyes soft for once. He was usually filled with snarky, teasing comments, but today, he was quieter, worried even. I took his rough hand in mine, giving it a good shake. He and the exception of a few others knew my work as a double-agent. Each one knew the risks I took to gain information for the Resistance, but what never changed when I left were the worried looks they gave me. "Dad," my voice was soft, "I've been doing this for years. I'll be fine."

"I know, I've just got a bad feeling about this."

I tried a smile, but it came out as more of a grimace. "I'll come back, as I always do." I firmly said. Dad frowned, the wrinkles round his face creasing. "It doesn't matter how many times I see you leave. I always worry. Since Ben–"

"I know." I wrapped him in a tight hug. "When you see mum, tell her I said bye." When I released him, he ruffled my hair like he always did. "Don't go dying on me." he said. I chuckled a bit. "You know me, I don't do that type of stuff. May the Force be with you."

"May the Force be with you."

—-

You had been missing for almost a month, and frankly, Kylo was beginning to worry. He tried to reach out to you on so many occassions via Force telepathy, but it was like you blocked him. Put him on silent. Why didn't you answer him? Why couldn't he sense your whereabouts or hear your voice? It was as if you completely disappeared from the galaxy. He heard talk from some of the staff that you were dead, but he never believed a word. Heck, he walked up to the guy who said it and nearky chocked him to death.

But then he thought of you and how horrified annoyed you'd be with him and let the poor man off the hook.

You said this would be a simple mission. On the planet and off the planet in an instant. You'd find whatever plans were in the Resistance base then come back successful and in one piece.

But you hadn't returned, nor had you sent an S.O.S. message.

So what happened to you? Where were you? Did you get captured by pirates? Or did your fighter malfunction?

"Sir." Kylo turned to face the general. He never liked Hux one bit, but he knew the feeling to be reciporicated. He sensed it, as well as the relief rolling off his shoulders. The only reason Kylo kept Hux around was because be knew you liked to talk to him. "Whatever you want, this better be worth my time." Kylo icily announced. Hux swallowed before continuing. "(Y/n) has returned."

At first, Kylo sneered at the first-name-basis between Hux and his sister, but when it settled in that (Y/n) was back, he stormed out of the bridge to find her. He sensed you before he saw you, right down the hall and to the left, where your quarters lay. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with you, but that was soon proven false when he knocked at your door.

"(Y/n)." he announced. "It's me."

There was a bit of silence before a small 'hi' was heard on the other side of the door.

That worried your brother. Did something bad happen besides the fact you went missing? He sensed the unease, the sadness, and frustration, but he felt that you weren't ready to tell him. Kylo knocked again, but you had yet to open up. "(Y/n). Open the door." You opened the door, albeit hesitantly.

Was that fear Kylo sensed?

Your brother closed the door behind before making his way into your room. He removed his helmet, revealing the crease in his brow and the oceans of emotion in his eyes. "What's wrong?" He tried to be gentle. "You went missing for months. I couldn't contact you, I couldn't sense where you were. What happened?" The fact that you weren't facing Kylo caused annoyance to creep onto his face. It was no secret that he had a dangerous temper, but you always put it to the test.

"Can you look at me at least?" Kylo wasn't gentle this time. "Stop ignoring me (Y/n)." When he saw the shake in your shoulders and heard a snuffle come from you, he paused. The previous irritation he felt washed away in a wave of worry. He spun you around, eyes wide. He hadn't realized you were crying.

"What's wrong?"

You didn't answer.

"Talk to me (Y/n). I can't help you if you don't talk. Who did this to you? Did something go wrong on the mission?" You wiped a few tears before brushing Kylo's gloved hands off you shoulders. "If I told you the truth," your voice cracked, "you'd hate me forever."

"Why would I have a reason to hate you? You're my sister."

That seemed to set something off. The tears dried and your sniffling came to a stop. He felt your temper spike and rise just as quickly as his did in the past. "You don't understand Ben." He flinched. "This...is getting out of hand. You're being used as a pawn and you don't even see it."

Kylo knitted his brows. He didn't understand girls; they were always so moody. "What are you talking about? You were sad seconds ago, why are you mad at me now?"

"I'm not 'mad' I'm frustrated because you aren't seeing the bigger picture. You're so high on your throne that you are blinded. Who is the one pulling the strings? Who is the one telling you to do this and that? You aren't ruling the galaxy–nor will you ever–because you're always being used."

You paused to point a finger at Kylo's chest, ignoring the angry look on his face. "You should be resisting, not giving in. You're a toy in the true emperor's hands, and I don't know if I have the power to help you." Kylo frowned. "I'm not a pawn (Y/n)."

"That's exactly what a pawn would say."

"Well, what if you're a pawn too? What will you do about it then? Even if I am a pawn, I'll eventually overthrow the Emperor." Kylo said. (Y/n) crossed her arms with a sniffle. "I'm sure you will." Kylo cringed at the heavy sarcasm coating her words. Why was he even here again? If (Y/n) didn't want his comfort, the be wouldn t stick around. Why should he listen to (Y/n)'s pathetic jabs at him when he could be doing something productive? Kylo Ren pulled his helmet on. "I'm leaving."

And so he did, politely closing the door behind him. What he had yet to know, was the real reason his sister was so sad. Kylo Ren had a feeling that little 'banter' was something (Y/n) fabricated to mess with him, but he couldn't shake off one of the phrases she threw at him.

You're a toy in the true Emperor's hands, and I don't know if I have the power to help you.

There was more truth in to that than Kylo Ren could ever realize.