fine: fives

"What would you do if I didn't come back?"

That was supposed to be a simple question. You really thought it to be, but Fives thought otherwise. He turned on his side to face you, his emotions clear on his face. You felt the worry stream from his heart and the concern he had for you over your stupid little question. You've been like this lately. After all the loses of your men, and friends or comrades, you couldn't help but worry over the littlest of things. So many lives had gone in the blink of an eye. Who was to say that wouldn't happen to you? Or Fives?

"What's wrong?" he quickly questioned. Fives knitted his brows together as you folded your hands over your chest and gazed at the night sky. The moon shone brightly, drowning out even the brightest of stars. "Nothing." You felt the aching of your heart seep into your words. "I'm fine."

Fives scooted closer to you and sneakily wrapped his arms around your shoulders and cradled you close. You cast a quick glance to your men and the 501st, as well as the curious eyes of a certain Jedi General.

"Fives--"

That certain General spared you a thumbs-up. Fives didn't catch this, but that was probably because he gave zero k's (kriffs) as to whose prying eyes could potentially be on you both. "Hush." His soft voice caused your stomach to fill with butterflies and to do a couple flips. "Everyone's sleeping, it's fine." he said. You repositioned yourself so you could look into his honey eyes. "I don't think--"

"Don't worry." he boldly said. You rolled your eyes, the image of Skywalker sending you a thumbs-up replaying itself in your mind. You looked back at the place he had been moments ago. Now, the man lay in the grass, grinning like an idiot. Sensing that he had no ulterior motives, you relaxed in Fives's warm embrace and cast your gaze to the navy sky.

"You're obviously sad cyar'ika."

"I'm not sad." Fives sent you a pointed look with a short sigh. "You've gotta stop worrying about everything cyar'ika. I know it hurts, but sometimes we can't do anything about it." Fives tenderly said, tightening his gentle grip on you.

"Since when did you get so smart?"

"Since when did you get so snippy?" Fives easily retorted.

There was a break of silence before he continued. "You don't give yourself enough credit. You're the strongest, smartest, and most beautiful person I've ever met. Don't say that you aren't because you are." You could feel the heat rising to your cheeks. You wondered how Fives could think so highly of you. As if sensing your thoughts, Fives grinned in response.

"I mean it cyar'ika. You'll always come back, and I won't have to worry because you're (Y/n) (L/n): my amazing, incredible, gorgeous girlfriend. And 'cause of that, you'll be fine. I know it." You turned to face Fives. Although you didn't take his words to heart, it made you feel better. Sure, you could think of various other girls who were far more skilled and better looking than you, but you could smile because you knew Fives truly meant every word he said.

"I love you." you announced. Fives placed his free hand on your cheek and pulled you in for a kiss. The tenderness in his emotions, and the love radiating off him in waves washed away the coldness in your chest. That sadness you previously carried was only but a memory. With Fives by your side, you knew you had someone to lean on.

You both broke apart, softly smiling. "I love you too." Fives replied. Seeing him smile and feeling his touch made you melt. He looked so lovely in the soft glow of the moon.

Although you didn't think you were the prettiest person or most skilled, you knew one thing: you were the luckiest girl in the galaxy.