00: Call Me a Hater

💐 Rose Hart – Feb. 10, 2015

   Every time I’d introduce myself – “Hello, I’m Rosanne Hart but I go by Rose” – I’d always get either pitied glances or glorified ones. But let’s face it, it’s quite a terrible name, in fact it might be Cupid’s long lost name because it sounds tied to such a dreadful day, Valentine’s Day. I despised this day so much because as I grew up, people would call me ‘Cupid’ rather than Rose because it was oh-so funny. It wasn’t amusing in the slightest.

   It was unfortunate, being born four days away from Valentine’s Day, having my mother marry someone with the last name Hart and having parents that completely adore this day. Now maybe they have a bit of influence of why I hate the fourteenth of February because apparently, teens hate everything their parents love – which is quite true when you compare me to my parents.

   Anyways, the point was that either people thought it was a dreadful name, thought it was funny and called me ‘Cupid’ or thought it was the cutest thing ever.

   I was like the aforementioned. I thought it was dreadful, but I mentioned that already haven’t I?

   But this was when I was younger, now I’m officially twenty one, in my final year of university and still dreading the name. Most of the people who’ve called me ‘Cupid’ have stopped because after joining the wrestling team, I’ve become quite a threat but now if only I could somehow prevent Valentine’s Day from happening.

   It was four days away, meaning it was my birthday.

   Originally, I had hoped that I wouldn’t have to work on my birthday but of course, I didn’t get that birthday wish because my boss, Sam, wasn’t necessarily on the sweet side. Well, I thought so until another girl started working here a couple months ago. Her name is Fate, and at first I thought her name was almost as stupid as my own but once again, I was proved wrong because she just had the best luck. She was Sam’s favorite worker meaning she got every major holiday, event or birthday off.

   Now, I didn’t despise her or anything because she was honestly pretty sweet as long as you didn’t do anything to upset her but I honestly wish I could despise her because if I was her, I’d have the day off.

   “Now, I know that all of you are aware of a special holiday coming up,” Sam tells us this morning with a grin. His mustache and words always irked me. It’s not a holiday, were you born yesterday? But of course, I was the only bitter one since the rest of my coworkers started chatting excitedly. Sam shushed them. “Yes, Valentine’s Day. Which is one of the busiest days at the restaurant; meaning I had to decide who would work that day. I posted the list over there.”

   Acting as if the list was the answer to life, everyone ran toward the paper posted on the bulletin board next to the counter. I, of course, didn’t rush over. Instead, I continued to wipe down the tables so they’d be ready by opening time. I didn’t want to know who would be working on Valentine’s Day, because I don’t care. I know I’ll get the day off since I was forced to work today, but of course, Fate had to come over and inform me about who was on the list.

   “That sucks,” she says with a frown, “you have to work on your birthday and on Valentine’s Day.”

   “What!?” I shouted my eyes widening as my daydream of spending that day curled up with a blanket and watching movies floated away. I didn’t even wait for Fate to repeat her words because I stormed over to Sam, angry. “Sam, what the hell, first you make me work on my twenty first now you want me to work on Valentine’s?”

   He simply shrugs. “It’s not like you’ve got someone to spend it with.”

 💘 💘 💘

(A/N): The next update will be the day before Valentine’s Day! Now, how do you like Rose? Quite a short temper, yeah? And look! Fate from The Not-So Lovely Tale of Santa and the Elf is here! Yes, these short story specials I’m writing will tie together (in the slightest). Okay, moving away from that this was to show you a bit about Rose – a bit like Blake being annoyed easily but hey, maybe Louis can fix that ;)

Thank you for reading! X

P.S. picture of Rose who is played by Ashley Benson on the side/top

Call Me Cupid   »  l.t.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara