9. Nest Egg.

The Human realm was bloated with excitement. On the fateful day of awakening numerous lives were changed, countless geniuses and trashes of magic sprung up all throughout the lands.

A new generation of Mages was born, injecting fresh talent into the world. Rare and ancient magical powers were appearing left and right. Forcing countless powerful Mages looking to pass on their legacies to emerge from seclusion in search of talented apprentices.

O::.

Crestell City, Adventurer's Abode.

Efanachica sighed as she watched her son robotically sweep the floor. His eyes distant and glazed over. His body shuffled around, moving stiffly. He looked awkward and queer. As if his body was on autopilot, devoid of a soul.

At first she was put off by this strange look and movement that her son would suddenly adopt out of the blue. However after seeing it numerous times, she became used to it.

There were many things about her son that she had to get used to. Like his shocking intellect, strange manner of speech and his tendency to mutter awkward and foreign words, such as: Earth, Police, Physics, etc. His personality overall was separate from all others.

It was....as if he was from another era or world. Efanachica would oftentimes wonder if he was possessed by a devilish entity. She would usually dismiss these absurd thoughts, as there was nothing wrong with her beautiful and outstanding baby boy.

'So what if he acts a little strange? That just means that he's special! A dragon amongst men!'

However this time she was worried, he had been in this state more frequently ever since 'that day'. Suddenly she felt a hand gently resting itself on her shoulder.

Turning her head she sees the amiable smiling face of Lady Phyllis. "Don't worry, the boy's a little lost now, but in time he'll find his own way."

Surprisingly, Efanachica felt all her worries slowly leak from her as if they had been absorbed by the hand on her shoulder. 'Yes he'll definitely be alright. He's my brilliant son after all.'

Actually Dragx wasn't very upset over the type of Magic powers he awakened that day at the Cathedral. He had been fully prepared to be slayed by the Gods that day if he was unlucky.

He was mostly confused and bewildered. Many questions had appeared in his mind after becoming a Mage. One of which was the type of Magical energy he possessed.

The feel of it greatly reminded him of 'that energy', the power had flowed through him before. But he died shortly after. 'Why did Arcane energy feel so similar to 'that power'. Were they the same?' He would wonder.

Also there was the dilemma of what he was planning to do with his life in the future. He was now an 'Adult' in both in his mind and this world. He couldn't keep living under his mother's wings.

He needed to head out and see the world, gather as much knowledge as he could. He needed to make sense of this world, ushering a new age of scientific research and exploration.

However while undertaking his pursuit of knowledge, there is bound to be obstructions in his path. The most pressing one in the past was his status in society.

In all first world countries back on Earth, a person could rise through the ranks of society with enough talent and determination. Even people born in developing countries had a chance. As long as one had enough perseverance and determination.

But here in this world, this was not possible with only talent, hard work and determination! Any rise in social status required monumental effort, fraught with danger and crime. One of the most common ways to ascend the social ladder easily was to unlock mystical powers.