4. Tillen.

There was one thing Dragx didn't know he could ever come to hate upon being reborn, and that was school. After all, one of the most important things to a person such as him was information. Specifically the Language, Customs, Traditions and Social norms of these people.

What better way to get it than in school? Of course such things can be thought by parents, but with his mother being a little village girl from the mountains, what would she know of the arts cultivated by the upper class of society?

So of course when Dragx heard he'd be attending school he had been overjoyed. However after a few years he had mastered all there was to learn and had grown bored. This boredom eventually transformed into a little resentment.

"Tsk, do they think I'm some kind of cattle!" Dragx muttered lowly as he rubbed the middle of his red palm. If he could write a list of his reasons for hating school Corporal punishment would definitely be on that list.

He found it barbaric that they would use pain it discipline children, it was understandably effective, but still barbaric. Alas he could do very little about it. He did ensure that he was a good boy and avoided the rod as much as he could but he was not always successful.

Today was one of these days. Since he was late his hands would have no choice but to suffer under the abuse of the Headmaster's ruler.

"Doesn't that old guy have anything better to do!?" Dragx shouted angrily in his mind as he turned to shoot a hatful gaze at the old Headmaster who stood at the gates, quietly waiting for the next poor chap to come along.

After walking through the schoolyard and entering the old wooden building that had two floors. He didn't have to walk very far to reach his class as the building was very small.

When he arrived, class had already begun. After greeting the sour-faced teacher. Dragx took a seat near the back of the small classroom. Beside him there were only Sixteen other students of varying ages in his class. Most of which are the children of wealthy merchants of the town.

When Dragx first enrolled, he found the absence of Commoners strange since the school fees were surprisingly cheap and anyone was allowed to attend.

It was only after a few years living amongst them did he understand that the common people of the middle ages had to worry about even the most basic living essentials. Only by surviving horrible plagues, starving through the bitter Winters and being fortunate enough to not even slightly inconvenience a Noble or a person with greater power, could they have a slightly higher chance to see the dawn of a new Year.

Most of these Commoners didn't need the benefits of literacy. In fact Dragx was very lucky that he wasn't out in the fields herding livestock or shoveling sh*t in a pigsty or a horse stable.

After retrieving a book and a charcoal pencil, Dragx settled in for another day of school while cringing painfully at the terrible Pronunciation and reading skills of his classmates as they read their verses out loud.

O::.

"Phew, finally." Dragx sighed in relief as he heard the Headmaster tolling of the lunch bell. He quickly gathered is things and placed them into his book bag before rushing heading out.

While it was apparently lunchtime, most of the students headed for the gates. The school didn't prepare food for anyone except the high profile students who could afford to pay a higher school fee. As a result most students would return home for lunch.

He barely made it out of the building when he heard someone shouting "Hey, Dragx wait for me!"

Turning to look, dragx saw boy running up to him. The boy was a head taller than him. He was also very bulky for his age of thirteen. His head was a mop of short, unkept, sandy blonde hair

"How was yer date with the palm breaker?" He asked in an teasing manner.

Dragx adjusted his book bag and threw a cold, sidelong glance at the older boy as he began walking again. "I don't know how you suffer through that torture yet you still arrive late for school every day."

"Hehe, my Ma thrashes me harder than that old bat ever can!" The boy grinned as he brandished his calloused palms.

Dragx smiled and changed the topic. This boy was dragx's only friend in this world.

His name was Tillen Hipps. When compared to the other commoner children, he was fairly well off as his Mother owned the only tavern in the entire town and his Father was a successful hunter.

As they walked and bickered Tillen suddenly exclaimed : "Oh yeah! I heard my pops talking about a magical creature at the market!"

Dragx's head immediately jerked up. "Magical creature?!"

®£×¥ûπ©